Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently adquired a Mercedes GLA 200. It's new: had about 50km and it is from march 2019. Now a have a problem, that I discover when I made the first long trip (about 150 km) - when I stopped the car I smelled like burning and there was white smoke (not to much) coming out from the hood. I called a mercedes mechanic who told me that it was normal for new mercedes car, because they have plastic films like stickers that melt with heat. But the problem is that it happen again today and I start to get worried about it.

Can u give some advices please? What do u think might be happening? Should I be worried?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,381 Posts
I would think part of dealer prep would be to remove any film. But there are chemicals that can be sprayed on metal to protect it in transport depending upon destination.

Porsche uses a cosmolene kind of spray that smells whenever the motor gets hot. This smell can last for 50K miles and is affectionately referred to as Porsche perfume.

That being said, if it happens again I would pop the hood and inspect for the source.

FWIW, I generally carry fire extinguishers in my cars.

·
Registered
444 Posts
what kind of smell? plastic, oil, paper, all mean different stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's like melting plastic. Today I drive for about 20 min reaching 150 km/h, and nothing happen (no smoke). My father understand a little about mechanics and said that it can be caused by particle filter regeneration and that I must wait a while when I stop before turning off the car. In this image we see the filter a little burnt.
What do u think?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts