Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to procure a genuine OEM hood insulation from an online supplier of collision parts. I gave them a VIN for CLA instead for a GLA and they were able to fill my order.

The pad is of a very high quality EU made genuine accessory for Mercedes CLA and it have a perfect geometry fit for the GLA hood... BUT the pre-punched holes for the fasteners DO NOT MATCH with holes that I have on my GLA.

Does anyone have any ideas how to "punch" new holes on the pad to match the holes on the GLA? I was thinking in tracing a paper pattern; tape it to the underside of the hood, punch holes on the pattern; and then transfer them to the actual hood insulation.

Other way is to take to a body shop, have them take out the hood, lay upside down, set the pad insulation and then punch new holes to match.

The pad insulation fasteners were easily procured from a variety of seller from eBay.

Any help or suggestions?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
.... finally finished my hood pad install !!!

Resolved my dilemma cutting a pattern, then traced the holes from under the hood and then taped on the pad and punched out new holes.

It came out perfect!

The hood insulation does quiet down the busy four cylinder banger. The hood with gas struts now closes with a nice thump. The engine conveys a more luxurious sound, much deeper rather than the high pitched staccato.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why did you do this? Now the heat is trapped under the hood more... can't see the benefit but am curious.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Why did you do this? Now the heat is trapped under the hood more... can't see the benefit but am curious.
Its for sound insulation, some CLAs have this. I cant decide if US models dont have it due to temperature or cost cutting reasons.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I installed aftermarket hood insulation-Dynamat- a few weeks ago (another Thread). It does muffle engine noise slightly (when outside the car idling). We are in Florida - and the insulation DEFINITELY takes engine heat away from the hood. VERY noticeable after a drive. Little heat on the hood/paint where the insulation is placed. Heat/higher temps at the side/edges of the hood and the top of fenders/hood seams.

Only reason I can surmise why MB omitted the OEM pad is $$$$.

Reactions: 23481

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah its very noticeable , heat dissipates quickly in the middle of the hood/bonnet. Here in Sydney (Australia) summer time heats up to 52 deg. C at times, last summer it reached 55deg.
I'm happy with my install and serves its purpose.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Where did you purchase the insulation and pins from? Do you have part numbers? How many pins did you end up using? Which holes did you use?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... interesting questions.

More heat, more weight (up front). No gain!
My main goal is to preserve the luster of the hood paint. This has been the main peeve complaint in the e93 series blog. For whatever reason, the BMW decided not to equip the 2010 328i series with hood insulation, while all non-US models had it. This was easily resolved because OEM hood insulation, with fittings was readily available from European eBay sellers.

The engine operating temperature is dictated by the thermostat that you install; which is relative to emissions compliance (NOx reduction) requirements of different markets. There are multiple layers of cooling schemes: the first being the viscosity of the motor oil used, second is the concentration of coolant, and then finally you got multistage of electric fan. The engine compartment insulation has little to do with engine operating temperature.

The pad insulation (at least the OEM) is not heavy at all, it does not contribute to the front weight. The factory insulation pad is effective and it does encapsulate the engine compartment (the engine bottom is still partially open). The CLA got exactly the same engine as our GLA, and the pad I got is an OEM item.

My main goal is to preserve the hood paint luster, but as side benefit it did eliminate the "high staccato" of the four cylinder banger. Don't know how much of dB was reduced, but the overall sound is deeper and it contributed to a more "luxurious" sound, which is of course subjective observation on my part. I have to say that the pad insulation is effective.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where did you purchase the insulation and pins from? Do you have part numbers? How many pins did you end up using? Which holes did you use?
Hood insulation (OEM) for CLA250: 117-682-002-6
Hood fasteners (generic) for CLA250: 001-988-03-25 box of 15, used 13.

You need to search to find out who is selling the OEM pad for Mercedes CLA250. The fasteners I got from eBay.

I was able to use all of the original holes on the hood.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hood insulation (OEM) for CLA250: 117-682-002-6
Hood fasteners (generic) for CLA250: 001-988-03-25 box of 15, used 13.

You need to search to find out who is selling the OEM pad for Mercedes CLA250. The fasteners I got from eBay.

I was able to use all of the original holes on the hood.
Great..thank you

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Rothbury ,I have installed mine already ,from a GLA 220d its a bit pricey but......
Cheers
Looks like they could be coming thru as standard with the insulation now. Still haven't taken delivery of mine yet. Here is another pic from the dealer. 2017/18 facelift model.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wilburman ,thats an original hood shield from a GLA 220d ( diesel ) came standard with the car model. 12 fasteners /pins used all trough holes .
Rothbury hope yours had it standard.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 35 Posts