Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals. I hope that finding this forum will answer a question of mine. I had to get out of an intersection rather quickly and I forgot I had the car in manual mode, so I managed to hit the rev limiter in first gear on my 45. The screen turned red, I hit the paddle to quickly change gear and then all of a sudden the power disappeared. I was wondering if I should get anything checked out or if I've damaged anything. Feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Of course not. Thats why the rev limiter exists, to protect the engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
An number of reviewers have commented on the propensity of the GLA45 to hit the rev limiter in manual mode with no warning. Nothing to worry about except changing gears a split second faster in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whew thanks for the replies. I must say that I was in a bit of a panic when that happened. Trust me Bertie, I will be paying more attention in manual mode.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is a strange thing with the 45 AMG's rev limiter in that it seems to kill the power to the engine until you shift!? Previously I had a Lexus ISF and when you hit the rev limiter, it would just remain at that RPM. But you would still have the engine going. The guy who ran the fastest 1/4 mile in a non-NOS ISF, would intentionally hit the rev limiter in 4th gear as shifting to fifth would slow the acceleration slightly and put him in the 12's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The problem with rev limiters is if you don't shift you could bounce above red line.
By depowering this is avoided.

No damage guy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To clarify, on my ISF, I could run the thing at the rev limiter and it would continue to have power. It just wouldn't go over the rev limiter. It would literally bounce against it.

MB's hit the limiter and shuts off. I would MUCH rather hear the limiter bouncing but still have momentum to keep the car going.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Yep, my Boxster has a Tiptronic and will shift out of first at 6800 RPM even in manual mode, but red line is 7200 RPM. Kinda ticks me off that it won't let me squeeze out that last 400 RPM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd figure that they don't let you get all the revs out of the engine as a safety margin. Although that does not make much sense if you on the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts