Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to mount a bike rack to the rear of my upcoming GLA45. Any way to get a 2" hitch safely on this car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
From my inquiries there is no available approved Mercedes Benz trailer hitch or tow bar for the GLA 45 AMG. There is a trailer hitch advertised in the Accessory Brochure but I have been informed by my dealer that it will not fit the AMG version.
Also if you fit a non MB version you run the risk of voiding the warranty on the cars suspension components.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Apologies. I thought it read GLA250. @CRH is correct. I haven't seen an aftermarket one for the GLA45.

SOLD: '99 ML320 | '01 C320 SPORT | '02 ML320 | '05 E500
'15 GLA250 - SPORT, PREMIUM, MULTIMEDIA, PANORAMA, BI-XENON

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I wish I had a better answer for you.

I will not be shocked if there never is a 'Mercedes-approved' hitch for an AMG car... I don't mean to sound condescending, and you'll eat my lunch if I am wrong, but I just don't foresee that.

I'm also quite sure that if a hitch will attach to a GLA250, it will also attach to a GLA45, it's the same chassis.

On the product description, it says you will have to 'trim' your exhaust heat shield to install... Not sure who is willing to do that when the aesthetics of the car are quite defined by that rear apron as well. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
still nothing?

Reactivating this thread since I think Boris depressed everybody 2 months ago :)

Not an owner, just a lurker for now but would get a GLA45 if I could get a trailer hitch for it.

As mentioned in a previous post the GLA250 has a nicely hidden hitch available on the MB UK website's GL250 car configurator but none on their GL45 configurator (and of course none on the US configurators).

Living in NYC, I really only have room for 1 car, and the hitch, even if I tow just once or twice a year for light duty, short distance towing of a jet ski or a light motorcycle trailer, the hitch is essential for me.

I won't be doing this:
Mercedes-Benz GLA250 4Matic | Tow Car Awards

Maybe I'll just have to go the super 250 route that Boris took and source the towing kit from Europe.

Boris, does your car make sweet AMG-like sounds?

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
The nicely hidden hitch used in Europe probably does not have the correct ball diameter for USA trailers.

As mentioned in a previous post the GLA250 has a nicely hidden hitch available on the MB UK website's GL250 car configurator but none on their GL45 configurator (and of course none on the US configurators).

·
Registered
3 Posts
European hitch for GLA 250

As I indicated in my first post today, I opted for the roof carrier with bicycle racks, but there are two issues: canoit open the pano roof while the roof carrier is mounted and there is excessive wind noise from it. I only opted for this b/c MB told me there is no hitch option.

If I can source it fom Europe I would rather do that, especially if it is nicely hidden. Can someone post the link to the UK site please?

·
Registered
24 Posts
you can get a Curt hitch (and a light kit) for the GLA250 Hitch Lookup for 2015 Mercedes GLA250 All

their installation instructions show the hitch installed https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/13197/installsheet/CM_13197_INS.PDF

Best price/deal is likely autoanything.com

I went to the dealer yesterday to compare areas underneath the GLA250 versue the GLA45, and I think it is definitely a no go. while the space underneath the bumper and the frame mounting points are probably the same, the muffler on the GLA45 is bigger or set further towards the back of the car and would interfere with installation. On the GLA250 it only needs a notch cut out of the heat shield, and there isn't anyway I'm cutting a notch in the muffler. Of course, perhaps going to a muffler shop I could get a smaller muffler installed first ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
As I indicated in my first post today, I opted for the roof carrier with bicycle racks, but there are two issues: canoit open the pano roof while the roof carrier is mounted and there is excessive wind noise from it. I only opted for this b/c MB told me there is no hitch option.

If I can source it fom Europe I would rather do that, especially if it is nicely hidden. Can someone post the link to the UK site please?
I would also like this link. I recall seeing US adapters for European hitches while shopping on-line, and they might work here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts