Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI in case anyone is thinking about this:

I had a trailer hitch installed so I can carry my bike around. Came out very clean. I ordered mine from Curt, who makes one specific to the GLA. I got it off Amazon for $100 brand new!

I called the dealers for quotes on install and as suspected prices were stupid crazy, anywhere from $600 to $1500! Crazy For sure.

I found a local company (Weld Rite), that specializes in installing hitches and such things; I paid $95 to have it installed :). It took them about 2 hours as they had to remove the rear assembly and bumper. They rated the difficulty as 7/10 so not for beginners I suppose.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Although a trailer hitch in not in my future, could you post a few more pics…close up of the diffuser area where the hitch is located and under the car showing how it was installed.
Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
What is the towing capacity of this hitch. I have a motorcycle that weighs at most 600 pounds that I'd like to tow on a small single rail trailer. It's confusing what the GLA can handle and what specific hitches can handle I.e. Tongue weight. Does anyone know the specifics?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have been wanting to do similar, but have been concerned it would affect the lines. is it a 11/4 or 2 inch? I have my kuat rack waiting in the corner......can't imagine lifting my bike on and off top of car and my bikes are carbon and pretty light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you bottom out on this often?

I had something similar put on my AUDI A3 a few years back but it sat so low, it would allows scrape. I finally had to take it off as a few really good hits worried me I'd be hurting the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, could you provide the link to the item you bought? I just did a search on Amazon and didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
WARNING!!! Curt omission may result in car damage!

FYI in case anyone is thinking about this:

I had a trailer hitch installed so I can carry my bike around. Came out very clean. I ordered mine from Curt, who makes one specific to the GLA. I got it off Amazon for $100 brand new!

I called the dealers for quotes on install and as suspected prices were stupid crazy, anywhere from $600 to $1500! Crazy For sure.

I found a local company (Weld Rite), that specializes in installing hitches and such things; I paid $95 to have it installed :). It took them about 2 hours as they had to remove the rear assembly and bumper. They rated the difficulty as 7/10 so not for beginners I suppose.
WARNING! - WARNING! Curt instruction omission may result in vehicle damage, costly repair and loss of warranty!

Removal of the factory bumper also removes a necessary weather seal that MUST be replaced to avoid water intrusion. Rain water may enter the chassis cavity leading water to the inside of the vehicle (yes, the inside of this "tube" is part of the INSIDE of the vehicle!) and end up on the floor of your car - as it did with mine.

I received a bill for $3,400 because MB treated as a factory defect and searched for the root cause by dismantling the entire interior of the car. I got billed for the 25 hours of shop labor to repair.

You MUST seal this opening from water intrusion. There is also 2 rubber seals that you can use for access to fill it up with a compatible expanding sealer. I cannot not emphasize more that this should be sealed. CURT made a huge omission and the instructions do not mention anything about the seal.

Once installed, you should periodically check for water intrusion to confirm that your installation was water proof, especially after heavy rain or off roading. You can also check for water intrusion from the hatch by lifting the carpet and getting visual access to the metal as this channel does have openings to the interior of the car - hence considered as part of the inside of the vehicle.

IF you have witnessed windshield fogging while your vehicle has been parked under heat and rain, there is a high probability of water intrusion through the hitch receiver. Unfortunately that's how we found out. We did not noticed at first because the car sits in a garage and for the most part water evaporated before becoming a huge problem. When we had the car serviced for windshield fogging, the car sat in an open lot exposed to a month of heavy rain, accumulating enough to spill in the interior and evidently showing water intrusion on the rear carpets.

CURT made a huge omission that may result in vehicle damage and an expensive loss of warranty. You have been advised. Let's hope they correct the manual and communicate it to all customers.

:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I created a new thread for the Hitch receiver installation issue. As a "junior" member I cannot post the link but you should all be able to join it from the home page.

·
Registered
48 Posts
WARNING! - WARNING! Curt instruction omission may result in vehicle damage, costly repair and loss of warranty!

Removal of the factory bumper also removes a necessary weather seal that MUST be replaced to avoid water intrusion. Rain water may enter the chassis cavity leading water to the inside of the vehicle (yes, the inside of this "tube" is part of the INSIDE of the vehicle!) and end up on the floor of your car - as it did with mine.

I received a bill for $3,400 because MB treated as a factory defect and searched for the root cause by dismantling the entire interior of the car. I got billed for the 25 hours of shop labor to repair.

You MUST seal this opening from water intrusion. There is also 2 rubber seals that you can use for access to fill it up with a compatible expanding sealer. I cannot not emphasize more that this should be sealed. CURT made a huge omission and the instructions do not mention anything about the seal.

Once installed, you should periodically check for water intrusion to confirm that your installation was water proof, especially after heavy rain or off roading. You can also check for water intrusion from the hatch by lifting the carpet and getting visual access to the metal as this channel does have openings to the interior of the car - hence considered as part of the inside of the vehicle.

IF you have witnessed windshield fogging while your vehicle has been parked under heat and rain, there is a high probability of water intrusion through the hitch receiver. Unfortunately that's how we found out. We did not noticed at first because the car sits in a garage and for the most part water evaporated before becoming a huge problem. When we had the car serviced for windshield fogging, the car sat in an open lot exposed to a month of heavy rain, accumulating enough to spill in the interior and evidently showing water intrusion on the rear carpets.

CURT made a huge omission that may result in vehicle damage and an expensive loss of warranty. You have been advised. Let's hope they correct the manual and communicate it to all customers.

:(
Those are pretty strong statements about the cause of your problem. I just talked to a CURT Customer Service rep and they had already looked into this and say the problem had nothing to do with the hitch or the install. I suggest anyone concerned about this contact them direct.

I have no stake in this matter either way but feel it is important to show all the facts.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I also have no stake, but I would assume that's what CURT might say. Who can you believe?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts