Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to be installing a hitch on my vehicle soon. For those of you who have already done so, may I ask if this has affected the "hands free" (using your foot), lift gate? From the research I have done it appears the sensors are quite wide so I am hoping there will be problems. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm getting a hitch installed Thursday, will let you know. From what I've read, it shouldn't interfere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Joe,
Thank you so much for answering. Please keep me in the loop with maybe a photo?? Who is installing??

·
623 Posts
You might want to do a search as some have reported leaks after installing a hitch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard of many problems, however really need a hitch for carrying our bikes. I was thinking of talking to UHaul and ask if they have ever installed a hitch on a GLA ...

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
Silicone seal at all bolts to make sure no moisture works its way into the frame our elsewhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely perfect. It looks great! I hope my install goes as well. Will post photos well. Thank you so much for sharing!

·
Registered
274 Posts
for those with hitches, ideally on the GLA45, any issues with ground clearance? Are there any options out there that can be installed and removed, in, say, 1 hours time or so?

Edit: I have never seen that stealth hitch concept before. That looks so cool!!

So, does the hitch come off completely, leaving the mount in place? So, you can install and remove the hitch? is that how that works? Does the mount protrude below the vehicle? Is this the "have your cake and eat it too" option? I want to haul 200 lb of bikes, so this looks rather ideal!

·
Registered
7 Posts
for those with hitches, ideally on the GLA45, any issues with ground clearance? Are there any options out there that can be installed and removed, in, say, 1 hours time or so?

Edit: I have never seen that stealth hitch concept before. That looks so cool!!

So, does the hitch come off completely, leaving the mount in place? So, you can install and remove the hitch? is that how that works? Does the mount protrude below the vehicle? Is this the "have your cake and eat it too" option? I want to haul 200 lb of bikes, so this looks rather ideal!
I've not had issues with ground clearance, it's tucked right under the bumper. I like the Stealth hitch, good option.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Joe. I am having one installed shortly and am nervous because apparently there is some minor cutting involved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Stealth Hitches website has directions for the GLA hitch, including pictures. It has an option for a Receiver only, or Tow Bar with Ball only or both. It looks fairly easy if you are comfortable removing the rear fascia. When removed it looks like nothing is visible.

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
If someone else is installing it print the instructions and pictures for the installer. Stress the need to seal all holes to prevent water intrusion causing corrosion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really appreciate this info John. So it looks like six bills for the hitch and I would guess maybe a minimum of a buck and a half for install for a total of at least $750. I already ordered a hitch, which with install is coming in at $350. I definitely like the stealth but have to weigh if it's worth twice as much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
HITCH UPDATE ...

I finally had a hitch installed, (there was a very long wait for the GLA hitch). Just as a side note, the hitch was installed to simply carry bikes.

I would like to start off by saying it just should not be this involved to install a hitch on what is supposed to be a SUV. As most of you know, part of the plastic bumper had to be cut away. If I had to do this again I simply would not. I would opt to spend twice as much to install a "stealth" type hitch so no cutting would be necessary. I am only staying this for any of you who are thinking about a hitch down the road for your GLA. However again, with the Stealth hitch you forfeit a lot of ground clearance. Thankfully you do not see any of the "cut" unless you crawl under the car.

The price was $350 installed as compared to a Stealth type hitch which was more than twice as much. I think the saddest part of the entire ordeal was we lost the hands free rear hatch release. I must have asked a dozen people if there would be any chance I would lose this ability and I was assured the sensors run across the entire rear of the vehicle and we would still be able to enjoy this option. Whatever the reason we no longer can extend our foot under the car to release the gate. I understand there are much worse things, however again, I paid for this option which is yet another option I can't use.

I did a lot of research before the installation and it was not until after install did someone tell me that "cutting part of the bumper" could cause some heat problems as this bumper deflects the heat. I have no idea how this small piece of missing plastic could deflect anything but it has me more than worried. I can only hope this is untrue, after all, a lot of GLA owners have had a hitch installed in this same manner.

As soon as I load the bikes I will take plenty of photos for any of those who are interested.

I would like to thank all the people who chimed in on this post as your time was greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts