Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been chatting with HG Motorsports for awhile about the possibility of CLA250 parts fitting our GLA250's...

Today we installed the HG Motorsports intake and Engine damper, and I have to say, they are worth every penny so far. Plus the HG crew seem like a real pleasure to work with, and have been very easy to contact and dialogue with.

With the engine damper, the driveline feels more stable, and flooring it from a 'dig' doesn't feel so sloshy anymore. Plus with the little bit of power from the intake combined, the GLA is a LOT more fun to drive! The power band feels MUCH more consistent now, I even drove my wife's stock GLA250 to compare post-install to eliminate the placebo-effect.

A bit about the intake: it looks and feels like a high-quality item. Fitment is perfect, and install is not overly complicated. The engine damper took less time to install than changing my headlight bulbs! lol

Next, I am looking into an ECU tune. The few that are available are supposed to raise the torque to around 310ft/lbs torque >:D

HG Motorsports does have tuning for the CLA250 and the A250, but there are some harness differences to the ECU still being looked at. I will keep you all posted.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The intake gives a nice growl, but it's not overly-intrusive. Although those kinds of things are VERY subjective for most. Here's a better pic of the intake

·
Registered
102 Posts
Now that is killer, didn't expect things to happen as quick as it is with the GLA!
Would you be able to get us a video of what it sounds like?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My GLA250 is soooo much more fun to drive now! :)
I will try & make a video this weekend. Until then, you can just check out any of the 'CLA'250 videos on the web, as they really sound the same. HG makes a really nice, aggressive exhaust as well, but I have not asked if it will fit the GLA yet

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interested in a tune as well.

What's the engine damper?
I apologize, I should've clarified more. I have been modding my cars for over 20 years, so I tend to just assume others on the forums have similar backgrounds. The engine damper is designed to tighten the driveline, to get power to translate to the wheels more productively,(reduce 'engine-slop') but, at the same time being able to maintain a quiet cabin. I think HG did it perfectly. Here's the link:

https://www.hgmotorsports.com/hg-pr...z-cla250-cla45-amg-performance-engine-damper/

To sum it up, pull the existing mount out of your GLA, and you will see immediately that it is not a quality piece like the HG piece. When you put the pedal to the floor from a dig, you will notice the torque feels like it hits much harder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ahh. I just call them engine mounts or bushings. :)

It's amazing how much those can improve things.

Do you feel much from the intake? Other than better sound they typically don't do much, at least w/ stock tuning.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh. I just call them engine mounts or bushings. :)

It's amazing how much those can improve things.

Do you feel much from the intake? Other than better sound they typically don't do much, at least w/ stock tuning.
You are correct, those terms are interchangeable depending on your country/state/province of origin, sorry for the confusion.

So far, I LOVE the intake. However, I really enjoy 'hearing' my engine and the intake sound is pretty aggressive. I don't like 4-cylinder EXHAUST, but I do love 4-cylinder INTAKE-Sound, and this has it nailed, plus you get that nice turbo 'woosh' sound when releasing the throttle. ;)

I'm not sure how much the power was affected with the intake, as I added both parts at once. It definitely 'feels' faster, and it now outruns my wife's GLA... But, I also have very lightweight aftermarket wheels and tires and smaller brakes (which are lighter) so I have less rotating mass.

HG showed a +5hp and +5 torque on the intake dynos, and if you look at their graphs, it does have a better power band. Power delivery feels more linear now, and making a kickdown feels really nice for this little CUV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts