Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FCP Euro has a Hengst synthetic filter (E155H01D122) that they label as " Upgraded Synthetic Filter Media, improved performance over OE paper media filter 278180009". The 278180009 is the OEM MB paper filter.

I can't seem to find much information from Hengst on the actual media itself and why it would be superior. I don't know what their codes EDP and EAN mean from their site:
E155H01 D122 - hengst.com
It does cost more than a Hengst OE equivalent so I would think that it is possibly a better filter. on FCP Euro, the Hengst OE equivalent is around 11$, the synthetic is about 17$ and, for reference, the OEM GENUINE MB one is around 27$:
Mercedes Engine Oil Filter - Hengst 1761800800 | FCP Euro

Anyone have any insight to this filter or the media used for this application?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
690 Posts
I have no experience with Hengst. I've always used Mann oil filters which are often the OEM providers for Germanic vehicles.

As cited by astute members in your oil thread, more often changing of oil & filter is more important than a "designer" brand. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
There's a huge difference between the filters available. I ordered both the Hengst D122 and the FEBI from FCP euro and they are night and day.... (D122 being far superior) Order both and check them out- not so sure how the OEM MB compares to both these though..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a huge difference between the filters available. I ordered both the Hengst D122 and the FEBI from FCP euro and they are night and day.... (D122 being far superior) Order both and check them out- not so sure how the OEM MB compares to both these though..
I ordered the 155H D122, the 155H01 D122, and the OEM MB one. The 155HD122 is very, very similar in construction and materials to the OEM MB one. I can't tell the difference between the two as far as actual filter media but the top fabric ring is just slightly different than the OEM one, and, of course, the OEM one states MB/AMG etc all over the top end cap. They both look and feel identical with the exceptions noted.
The H01, on the other hand, is completely different. It has white filter media with some sort of (maybe) hard nylon mesh screen backing on the inside, not seen on the OEM design, in order to support the pleats. Hengst.com does have this filter as one that is made for this vehicle so I would think that it is suitable for the application, just curious to understand any possible benefits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have no experience with Hengst. I've always used Mann oil filters which are often the OEM providers for Germanic vehicles.

As cited by astute members in your oil thread, more often changing of oil & filter is more important than a "designer" brand. ;)
I also use the mann "paper" oil filters as an oem replacement. They can be purchased online at Rockauto in the US for about $8 each plus shipping. My independent shop does an oil change using German manufactured Fuchs Titan synthetic oil and mann filter for $90 here in NJ USA. (Fuchs is listed as one of the mercedes factory fill oils)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts