Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. So far I have 2 options:

2015 JUPITER RED STANDARD FINISH with LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTHRACITE (811A) and Panoramic sunroof. 52k miles. Can offer $30-32k. Selling by Owner

vs

2017 SOUTH SEA BLUE - METALLIC FINISH (162U) with FABRIC/IMIT. LEATHER/MICROFIBRE - BLACK/ANTHRACITE (651A) non panoramic sunroof. 14k miles. Can offer maybe $45k. Selling by a non MB Dealer

I understand the advantage of the newer model. Also the 2017 still have warranty up to December 2020. But a $15k difference. I need to contact MB here in Puerto Rico to see if the warranty on the 2015 can be extended.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Simple to me.

#1 don't be me and compromise features because you just plain want the car. Market on this car is actually very soft. People are risk averse to a used car @ 100 HP per piston, and the cargo space sucks. That's your advantage, so use it.

Anyways, I'd do it this way.

Start with features you know and want. make a list. Stuff that is essential and a deal breaker, and stuff that's "nice to have". In my case, an essential feature would be Keyless GO. A Nice to have would be panoramic roof. A nice to have would be new batteries, decent brake life left. New tires. Whatever your list looks like.

Then get the VINs and check VIN decoder to see what each car has. Then compile the differences to see if you get 'sweeteners' to either justify the price difference, or not.

In my case, I didn't think I could do better than $35k for an AMG with <30k miles on it, so I sacrificed Keyless GO and bought the car. I found local adds 6 months later for similar models WITH KGO at similar mileage for a grand or two less. So, I regret that supremely. Supremely.

------

You may find the 2017 is better for you, but not 45k better. Maybe it's just worth 40k to you. You're free then to lowball to 40k and walk away when they say no. Your eyes are open and you've planted the seed to the seller. Time is your (anyone) biggest negotiation ally, especially when you're willing to walk. Or maybe the 2015 has a dealbreaker and you're "stuck" having justified spending 45k. or vice versa. etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
IMHO the blind spots in this car are large. Blind spot assist is a very nice option. Same for the back up camera.

Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blind spot assist is a very nice option. Same for the back up camera.
Both wagons have both options. Red 2015 one have also the AMG EXCLUSIVE PACKAGE and the Blue 2017 the Dynamic Plus. Both are very equally loaded.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Next thing to look at, IMHO, is the seats. I liked the Recaro but Pam preferred the AMG Sport seat. It was her car. I held my tongue!!!

I have been told the reduced padding in the Recaro makes it less comfortable on long drives. The higher side bolsters also make ingress and egress more difficult. But if your primary intent is spirited drives along with track, AutoX, and DEs ...

There are options on the screen that others here have posted so that may not be a big concern.

Things like Homelink have been added after the fact.

How long are you planning on keeping this car? I used to swap cars on an almost monthly basis. If you are looking at a year the older car will depreciate less. I keep cars for years now. I would tend to go for the newer car and amortize the price difference.

If the car is CPO that can make a difference. But if not and you plan on buying a warranty the newer car will save you some money. But on the newer car insurance rates will be higher as well as taxes.

Only you can decide what is right for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
have you driven both cars? can you tell much difference between the extra hp and the retuned tranny? that might sway you one way or the other too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's a pretty massive difference in prices, nearly 50%. That said, I'd take 2017 over 2015, blue over red, and 14k miles vs 52k miles. Is that worth 50% more money? Yikes, not sure about that. The price on the '17 seems really high. IMO, the spread between the two should be $10k-$12k at most. As long as the gap is >$12k, I favor the '15. If the gap were <$10k, I'd favor the '17.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
I always prefer buying from the private owner.

In this case you're buying the seller as much a you're buying the car. Ask questions and fully assess the answers.

I'll look around the garage as well as at any other cars on location. Even the condition of the yard and house tell a story that extends to the car.

And get the car's full history ... Something that is much more difficult from a dealer.

Of course, in these days of SIP that's much more difficult. But it's harder for the seller too. Use that to your advantage.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi. So far I have 2 options:

2015 JUPITER RED STANDARD FINISH with LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTHRACITE (811A) and Panoramic sunroof. 52k miles. Can offer $30-32k. Selling by Owner

vs

2017 SOUTH SEA BLUE - METALLIC FINISH (162U) with FABRIC/IMIT. LEATHER/MICROFIBRE - BLACK/ANTHRACITE (651A) non panoramic sunroof. 14k miles. Can offer maybe $45k. Selling by a non MB Dealer

I understand the advantage of the newer model. Also the 2017 still have warranty up to December 2020. But a $15k difference. I need to contact MB here in Puerto Rico to see if the warranty on the 2015 can be extended. View attachment 25705 View attachment 25706
red is all over the rod, but blue i never seen and its awesome. but most importent is the more power. totally 2017 without doubt. you ll be always saying ; " i wish i got 2017"

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd like to give you a 3rd option...My 2015 Black on black w/ night package, pano roof, lane change assist, and just about every other package, is up for sale. It also has Weistec BOV, air filter, and oil filter. New tires. California car, 2 owners, no smoking, well maintained. I can offer it to you for $28K.
PM me if interested!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts