Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad I found this forum and this is my first post. Overall, I have loved my 2017 GLA 250 but now I'm thinking it might not be the great car I thought it would be. The car has been meticulously cared for and I have had every routine maintenance service done on the vehicle by Mercedes. But now, I have had battery problems for the past 1.5 years. (By the way, the eco-stop/start system has not worked properly since 2018). In February of 2020 Mercedes of Tampa replaced the main battery of the vehicle under warranty as the original battery had died and would not hold a charge. The eco-system then worked for about 1 month before it quit working again. (Note: I have had the eco-system looked at every time I had the vehicle in for routine maintenance and told it is repaired only to have it stop working again shortly afterwards). So, after the eco-system once again quit working shortly after the new battery was installed in February of 2020, I didn't have the car looked at because I was just frustrated with the whole situation with the eco-system. Now this September, the 18 month old battery has died after the car was garaged and not started for approximately 8 weeks (we were on an extended summer vacation). We jumped the car and it worked for about 3 weeks but after not driving it for about 5 days, the battery died again. We jumped it and the "check engine" light came on. Because of the "check engine" light being lit, (this is the first time that had occurred), Mercedes of Tampa had me tow it to the dealership. Now I am awaiting the diagnostics and of course the original manufacturer's warranty ran out earlier this month on September 6th. I do have an extended warranty but we all know they find ways not to cover items. Anyway, needless to say I am totally frustrated with this situation and seriously thinking of getting rid of the car. When I spoke with the service representative at Mercedes of Tampa, I again explained the history of the battery and eco-system (but all of that is in their system anyway). During that conversation, he did mention that a battery tender might be indicated in the future after the repair. But, I am thinking there must be something draining the battery that they just haven't found on prior service appointments.
Any advice or thoughts on similar battery problems/resolutions, eco-system problems/resolutions and battery tenders will be much appreciated. I bought a Mercedes because I thought I was buying the best but now I'm becoming seriously disappointed. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
710 Posts
Welcome to the forum Renee!

We had to get the main battery on our FL-based 2018 GLA replaced at only one year post new delivery. Fortunately under warranty. So despite MB's vendor source inspection apparently a bad one still made it through to the factory.
Our MA-based 2018 GLA main battery has been fine.
Ironically the much maligned Aux battery (supporting auto start/stop) has been fine in both of our vehicles.

Given pandemic our FL GLA was on a Battery Tender (the actual name of the company whose products I have used for years) for quite a stretch but fired right up once we got back down there. Thanks to a year 'round neighbor for plugging it in for me when we were suddenly cut off from travel. He started it up for a few minutes once a week or so and I'm sure that helped. Vehicles as we know really don't like to sit idle for long durations.

Other than the somewhat pricey alternating year 'A' and 'B' service visits we've not had any other cost bearing issues. I think our no surprises, and pandemic recovery in one case, speaks volumes to the engineering and quality.

Keep in mind that most forums exist, to an unfair extent, on "I've got a problem" type threads (case in point) so one tends to get a negative impression of any vehicle if not so prepared for same.

On balance we very much enjoy our GLA's. They are certainly more slanted to "entry level" but still better than most in their compact CUV segment, others which we tested prior to purchase. The paint job in particular is far superior to most. But then it's been said that German luxury marques don't know how to paint a vehicle badly.

Considering that we bought two of them we're somewhat biased however. ;)

Again welcome and we look forward to more of your participation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum Renee!

We had to get the main battery on our FL-based 2018 GLA replaced at only one year post new delivery. Fortunately under warranty. So despite MB's vendor source inspection apparently a bad one still made it through to the factory.
Our MA-based 2018 GLA main battery has been fine.
Ironically the much maligned Aux battery (supporting auto start/stop) has been fine in both of our vehicles.

Given pandemic our FL GLA was on a Battery Tender (the actual name of the company whose products I have used for years) for quite a stretch but fired right up once we got back down there. Thanks to a year 'round neighbor for plugging it in for me when we were suddenly cut off from travel. He started it up for a few minutes once a week or so and I'm sure that helped. Vehicles as we know really don't like to sit idle for long durations.

Other than the somewhat pricey alternating year 'A' and 'B' service visits we've not had any other cost bearing issues. I think our no surprises, and pandemic recovery in one case, speaks volumes to the engineering and quality.

Keep in mind that most forums exist, to an unfair extent, on "I've got a problem" type threads (case in point) so one tends to get a negative impression of any vehicle if not so prepared for same.

On balance we very much enjoy our GLA's. They are certainly more slanted to "entry level" but still better than most in their compact CUV segment, others which we tested prior to purchase. The paint job in particular is far superior to most. But then it's been said that German luxury marques don't know how to paint a vehicle badly.

Considering that we bought two of them we're somewhat biased however. ;)

Again welcome and we look forward to more of your participation.
Thanks for the reply. Nice to know you haven't had any problems with your two GLA's (other than a bad battery). The fact that my GLA's eco-system has never worked properly and that Mercedes has never fixed it properly and now two battery discharges is concerning & making me think I have a problem vehicle. Still waiting to hear back from Mercedes of Tampa service department.

·
Super Moderator
710 Posts
If your auto start/stop has never worked properly then your Aux battery has likely been marginal from the start and they really should replace same.
Not all dealerships are created equal as far as customer service. Alas, some you really just have to push to get appropriate attention. Benz Ft Lauderdale took some pushing but ultimately we got a new battery.
If they replace your main battery and it still atypically discharges then perhaps you need an alternator replacement. That's a relatively easy check for them tho' as they should see ~14VDC across the battery terminals with the engine running.
There are so many computers & sensors in vehicles these days they really are adversely affected by rather small deviations in electrical power. Also electrical issues are often transient so hard to diagnose.
All the best in your resolution.
Thanks for the reply. Nice to know you haven't had any problems with your two GLA's (other than a bad battery). The fact that my GLA's eco-system has never worked properly and that Mercedes has never fixed it properly and now two battery discharges is concerning & making me think I have a problem vehicle. Still waiting to hear back from Mercedes of Tampa service department.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your auto start/stop has never worked properly then your Aux battery has likely been marginal from the start and they really should replace same.
Not all dealerships are created equal as far as customer service. Alas, some you really just have to push to get appropriate attention. Benz Ft Lauderdale took some pushing but ultimately we got a new battery.
If they replace your main battery and it still atypically discharges then perhaps you need an alternator replacement. That's a relatively easy check for them tho' as they should see ~14VDC across the battery terminals with the engine running.
There are so many computers & sensors in vehicles these days they really are adversely affected by rather small deviations in electrical power. Also electrical issues are often transient so hard to diagnose.
All the best in your resolution.
Thank you for the reply. I will definitely take up the issue of auxiliary battery replacement with the service department and hope that they can finally correctly fix the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I'm glad I found this forum and this is my first post. Overall, I have loved my 2017 GLA 250 but now I'm thinking it might not be the great car I thought it would be. But, I am thinking there must be something draining the battery that they just haven't found on prior service appointments.
Any advice or thoughts on similar battery problems/resolutions, eco-system problems/resolutions and battery tenders will be much appreciated. I bought a Mercedes because I thought I was buying the best but now I'm becoming seriously disappointed. Thanks!
Greets,

I am suprised my batteries still work, I have not been nice to the lead acid format.

I run in I mode and as such rarely are in a mode that would activate eco (45, vrooom vroom car) But I remeber casually hitting the button once at a long light, and it didn't kick in, whether the button press just starts the countdown or not, dunno. kinda makes the car into a yamaha golf cart, but that is a very nice cart, good at golfing duties.

I drive ever more seldomly, and have put it on a charger, it is exceeedingly easy to do so,

The code is the ECU seeing low volts and storing it. when very discharged ( <~9volts)
It will get very challenging to get a charge into the system. the code will clear in a few key cycles after charging.
also, they have chips in the **** batteries now, so the ECU needs to fed anti rejection drugs should you pop over to Walmart, and drop in a decent grade battery that physically fits fine

You might want to explore a strategic De-leasing, if you will with the dealership. used cars, with non suspect PC boards, are commanding high dollar, normally, a deealer likes a in warranty trade, so they can bill the intake maintenence&recondition to MBUSA, but if you are close, and they can still fudge....
some guys on the forum have good reporte with dealers and enjoy this way of trade in often.

I'm in Tampa, been there once, the last visit.
prior to that, sarasota, and Ft meyers.

How has Tampa been as a dealer, aside from the car itself, I mean?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts