Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Congrats to all the GLA owners. I am also thinking to get one. I am a first time buyer of a MB. Looking for some help from all of you who own one.

I test drove the car the first time and I loved it. Even my wife loved it. But seeing the issues that are coming up reading thru the forums here and also heard about the different issues with the tires especially from MB on their cars makes me a little nervous to invest in. We also drove the BMW 3 Series and we liked it as well. Just confused between the two. Any suggestions to come to decision?

Also, wanted to know about some upgrade packages in the GLA.
1. Premium package? - Especially the dual zone automatic climate control and the HK system. How different it is to not have the dual zone climate control and how are the MB speakers? Are they good enough to not upgrade to HK?

2. Xenon Headlights? - Are they better than the Halogens? I think it mare the car look more stylish. Are the adaptive to turns?

Thanks a lot to all of you in advance. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

I am curious about the tire problem/issue there is with MB? I am not familiar with it, do you have a link?

Personally I don't think the HK system is worth the upgrade, it isn't amazing. It is good but not great and some actually find it awful. It's ok in my book.

Dual-Zone is a convenience feature and most beneficial if you have a passenger. I like it though and I drive with enough people that it becomes useful.

Xenon headlights is a big upgrade from halogens not just from the looks but function. It is a must for this vehicle and any vehicle in this day and age actually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response nightscar.

Here is the link: Top 325 Complaints and Reviews about Continental Tires

Mercedes Benz Tires Don't Support Vehicle - Page 22 - WORLD Law Direct Forums

I am not trying to add bad reviews or something, but I need to know how much of this is actually true. I have heard my cousin having the same issue related to tire burst and bubbles when he owned a MB. When I heard in the beginning from him I was surprised hearing this for MB. This made me to find out if this actually is a problem with the existing GLA owners.

·
Registered
816 Posts
First, welcome to the forum and you are wise to read as much as you can about a vehicle prior to purchase.

Also, all car forums tend to focus on issues and sometimes that focus tends make things bigger than life. Not suggesting that there have not been problems with some vehicles, but some have had no issues. I am a new owner (as of a month ago) of a GLA45 have had no problems whatever and am very pleased with the GLA.

Which model are you looking to purchase (assume your in the US) the GLA250 or GLA45. Reason I ask is that owners of one or the other model can comment based on experience rather 'I heard that….'

Not sure what tire problems you are referring to… the GLA250 comes with run flats and those tires tend to ride a little more harshly and are noisy (I am active on the Corvette Forum and you should see/read the thousands of posts complaining about the OEM Goodyear run flats (commonly known as 'Run Craps') that come on the C6 Corvette). The GLA45 comes with non run flats summer performance tires and you have a OEM supplied air pump with sealer. There have been criticism of that set up (also meaning no spare tire), but I for one like the non run flats just based on better handling and turn it bite.

The premium package contains the following:
Dual-zone automatic climate control
Heated front seats
harman/kardon LOGIC7® sound system
SiriusXM Radio with 6-month All Access trial
Media Interface
Auto-dimming rearview and driver-side mirrors
Integrated compass
Garage door opener

I personally like the HK system and to my ear (THERE is the most important criteria…what does it sound like to YOU) and it is a very fine system. I am over 40 and maybe I do not have the most finely tuned hearing :D

Bi-Xenon lights are a must…makes halogen lighting look like kerosene lights that were on cars very early on.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the tire problems, never heard of it.

I was already planning on changing wheels and tires and this might just push me to do it sooner than later.

I didn't read through the whole link but I am curious if it is specific continental tires or all continental tires in general? If it's mostly just run flats or just summer tires?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts