Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Just bought my wife a GLA 250 mountain Grey, with backup cam, heated seats, and 19" wheels.
We are from New Orleans Louisiana
And got an amazing deal on the GLA at Mercedes Benz of Baton Rouge through Scott McDaniels.
My wife's last car was an 08 Subaru Sti hatch that we had remapped to about 320 hp running 18lbs of boost.
The ride of the GLA is very similar to the STI.. Although the semetrical awd of the Sti does tend to spoil you. I am surprised that with only 208 hp the GLA seems peppy and the power band is smooth and comes on early.

On the way home from the dealer the sportiness of the handling and the safety was put to the test when not one, but TWO Deers jumped out and crossed right In front of us.. I missed the second one only by inches, with a quick on off brake and swerve to the left. I was quite happy with the way the GLA handled that. I felt the awd kick in just a bit and was back in stride within seconds.
Overall happy with this purchase so far.
My gripes would be.. The screen/system is nothing like the Uconnect in my jeep grand cherokee which is big touchscreen and easy to use, with a lot more function. This system seems very outdated.
And the ride is a little stiff over bumps.
About the same as our STI that was sitting much lower.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm glad you are happy with your purchase so far. You should post some pictures up of your GLA when you get the chance.

Thanks for the feedback on the new car.

Cheers!

·
Registered
102 Posts
If a tune comes out for the GLA, would you get it?
German engines are know for being great for unlocking power, at least from what i have seen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well. I would be interested in a remap if it were not too expensive, and with the ability to flash back to factory if needed.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
It doesn't surprise me the GLA45 is being sought by former STi owners, I test drove the GLA45 and it REALLY reminds me of the experiences I had rolling around in a colleagues' STi this summer. Plus many of these prior STi owners were younger people who are now starting to make more money, or just tired of clutching. (lol)

I loved the GLA45, but I would've had to dump another $10,000 into it to special order the GLA250 springs and shocks for ground clearance, swap the front bumper for the GLA250 bumper (because the AMG front would look so bizarre lifted 8+ inches off the ground!) And I'd have to buy factory or aftermarket 19's because dodging potholes in an SUV is absurd ;)

For $70,000... I'd just get a different car.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah. Actually I replaced the STI with my Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi 4x4..
I needed a little more room and a more comfortable ride. As for the GLA my wife really wanted it.. I tried to talk her into the Cherokee limited with the 298 hp Pentistar v6, it has more room, more comfortable ride, and a way better screen/ucconect. But curbside value won her over.. The GLA is so good looking and no one else has them in New Orleans yet. Interestingly. I payed more for the Subaru STi in 08 than I payed for her GLA250. 38,900 vs 33,000. Yes I got the GLA below invoice ;). Still this little crossover is no STI. And I suspect that the AMG isn't either. Even with the HP. There is something to be said for true Symmetrical AWD. If you've driven one you know what I mean.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Boris did you notice a big difference with the motor damper? And at idle do you get a slight increase in vibration?
The engine damper effect is definitely noticeable. The engine slop on the GLA and CLA are awful. You should check out what the OEM damper is like in your hands, it feels very weak compared to the HG piece.

and you are correct, there is some vibration at idle, however, it has decreased over time and doesn't bother me, but it could definitely bother some. I've modded every car I've owned for 20+ years, and I 'like' aggressive sounds, and things that make you feel more connected to the driving experience. So I am a poor judge of products than the more 'fastidious' of car-consumers...

You can see the difference here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MNio1t33Mg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good demonstration from the video, they even ran it on a dyno. Had no idea it be moving around that much between gear changes. I'd imagine that would help with wheel hop if you ever wanted to tromp on it.

I figured that was the case with a solid piece of billet but since you are moving majority of the time it must be less noticeable. Gearshifts must be smooth and direct now when accelerating.

I am exactly the same way I love how these smaller things make such a big difference. Its all about the feel...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts