Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer this question. I live in a cold climate. When I start my GLA it blows cold air until the system has warmed up for the warm air to come in. This is so uncomfortable and forces me to manually screw all the vents off for the first 15 minutes of my ride. This happens regardless of the thermostat setting. My last car heated the air but did not blow it through the vents until the set temperature was reached which was a more pleasant experience. Perhaps there is a setting I have incorrectly set? I can't find any help in the owner's manual and my local dealer has no clue.
Thanks so much.
Waiting for the thaw.....

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Because of the ECO features, we must all suffer the cold longer than we are accustomed. The nature of the ECO setup is that it keeps the engine running at the lowest possible rpms, and when you first start to drive, the system stays in a 'protect-mode' that won't allow you to shift past ~2-3,000rpms when the engine cold.

What makes this worse, is the engine bay has plenty of room, and the intercooler, and radiator are all directly exposed and accessible to the harsh temps this year. (Small engine, big space) Without being able to drive a little harder in the first few miles can be frustrating.

MB USA needs to update the software on this, it is pretty annoying to drive a Mercedes that cannot adequately keep us warm.

One thing you could 'theoretically' do is, Put your GLA in 'Manual' mode, and rev as you please. However, I advise revving past 4,000rpms on a cold turbo-4.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The way I deal with this? wake up, start the car, press the heated seat, take a shower, dress up, make a coffee then go out and drive the car. The engine is already warmed up and ready to go by the time I finished my morning routine which would take me 20-30 mins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I'm sorry to find out this is the way the heating system is meant to be.
What a shame other brands can figure this out, and Mercedes can't.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not the first time I have seen a report like this and I can see it being a widespread concern with owners, hopefully it's something MB is looking into fixing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts