Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Just got my 2016 GLA 250 this Saturday, first Mercedez Benz and first new car of my life! I come from a 2007 Toyota Yaris that I drove for almost 6 years (what a difference, LOL!).
I got a black one with Premium Package, panoramic sunroof, rear view camera, very sweet. Just learning how to use it and had few troubles, ha ha, like not being able to change from park to drive mode (yep...), but getting there. :)

Planning on putting the roof rack and bike rack at some point, does anyone has an opinion on that? Thanks!

Glad to see this forum!

Cheers!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Congrats!
Your dealer didn't go over the car with you when you picked it up? Whether you're buying an S class or a GLA they should still go over the car's features and get you oriented.
There is something you should know before you get the racks. The MB ones will prevent the sunroof from opening. You can fix that by cutting off the little rubber bumper part that sticks out over the sunroof. Or, you can get the Thule setup that doesn't have that issue at all.
Search around on the forums here, I think someone was selling their racks recently.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Lots of knowledgeable folks here so if you run into a problem, just post here and I am quite sure you will get an answer.

Reactions: cro

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm jealous, sounds like a similar car to the one I'm picking up at the end of the month. Mine is still on the boat but should be here soon. Good luck with the car and be sure to post questions about anything that baffles you as a new owner, as I'm sure the answers will benefit many of us. Congrats

Chris

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Howdy!

Just learning how to use it and had few troubles, ha ha, like not being able to change from park to drive mode (yep...), but getting there. :)

Planning on putting the roof rack and bike rack at some point, does anyone has an opinion on that? Thanks!

Glad to see this forum!

Cheers!
I have the opposite shifting problem now. When I drive another car brand, I keep turning on the windshield wiper trying to put it in reverse.

I put 6K miles a year on my road bike. Typically my rides start from my house. I have the MB roof rack, but only use it when I'm making a trip to ride a tour. So, it doesn't really bother me that I can't open the sunroof with it attached. I suppose if it did I would do the mod SPG43 mentioned.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome. I purchased my first MB 2 years ago. Now I'm on my 3rd (one for the wife and traded up for me). I find that I love the cars more and more every day! As for the shifting problem, I keep turning the wipers on in my Honda's every time I try to drive them. LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all very much! SPG43, thanks for the input on the rack, I had no idea it would prevent the roof from opening. So will not get the one from MB and instead will look at the brand you mentioned in the future.

They did go over the features of the car with me, but apparently not enough though ha ha! I guess I have to read the manual. :) I still have no clue what most of the icons on the dashboard mean but I will get there!

lago1974, congrats on your new car! Hope you get it soon. :) :)

Really like this forum! Thanks all!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thank you all very much! SPG43, thanks for the input on the rack, I had no idea it would prevent the roof from opening. So will not get the one from MB and instead will look at the brand you mentioned in the future.
I didn't mean to steer you away from the MB rack, just to let you know that it will take five seconds and a utility knife to make it work the way it should.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up mind 3 weeks ago and is opting for a rear trailer hitch receiver to haul my bicycle. It's a little more complicated to install on this GLA than conventional SUVs but it's convenient.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Would a hitch mounted bike system interest you at all or do you just want a roof system?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts