Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share this simple mod for people out there who did not get the Bi-Xenon package with their GLA 250 but instead chose the (cheaper) halogen option. Drove the vehicle about 400 miles in the dark and the output from the headlamps was so yellow I had to drive below 60 mph due to poor visibility. Coming from an Audi with Bi-Xenon HIDs the overall difference in color was dramatic and so was the reduced visibility.

So after some searching, I replaced the bulbs for both the stock low-beam headlamps and the high-beam headlamps/daytime running lights. See page 117 on the manual for more information on how to do this. I started with the low-beam headlamps, the stock bulbs that came out were Philips H7 12v 55w 12972LL. Those were replaced by the OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited. See this link for full technical information www.osram.com/appsinfo/pdc/pdf.do?cid=GPS01_1090035&mpid=ZMP_1080591&vid=EU_ALL_eCat&lid=EN

Next I did the high-beams/DRLs, the ones that came out were stock Osram U64176 and the ones that went in were the iJDMTOY Xenon White 50W CREE H15 LED Bulbs. I can confirm that after installing them on the GLA250 there were no error message in the display when using them as DLRs. However, I have not used them as high-beams extensively, some say the may burn out I am not sure. Ideally, I would like to replace those LEDs with a a pair of Osram Cool Blue Intense Halogen bulbs H15, see the full product datasheet from Osram for more info
http://www.osram.com/appsinfo/pdc/pdf.do?cid=GPS01_1056960&mpid=ZMP_1191016&vid=EU_ALL_eCat&lid=EN

But unfortunately, those are only available in Europe for now (I think they only came out just a few months ago). Just in case anyone knows if and how we can get them here, the order reference number is 64176CBI 55/15W. Attached are some pictures of the stock bulbs and also the way the car looks with the new bulbs. I did about 40 miles last night in a very dark road and the difference in visibility is amazing. I was kind of reminded of how it felt driving with Bi-Xenons, and I quite liked that I was getting better visibility on the sides as well as the straight (I think this is because of the side-placement of the LEDs on the H15 bulbs). I think despite the obvious (car looks cooler), for those of us with the Sport package with no fog lights in the front bumper, having brighter lights is a lot more important and safe.

I am not saying my setup is the best but I hope this information is useful to anyone who decides to do an upgrade on their stock halogens. There are also alternatives I am just going to list those here, GP Thunder 7500K H15, Phillips Diamond Vision, and Osram Rally 65 Watt H7. Not a lot of options for H15s mostly H7s. I would love to hear back from anyone who has a different halogen setup :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's another thread on here about this. I went through the same exercise you're going through...tried Phillips Diamond Vision first which looked great on the car - the color of HID - but I couldn't see squat at night. After combing other forums and reviews (CLA and Golf owners have similar gripes) I switched to Phillips X-treme Vision +130% and these gave out way better light than stock. But Halogen will never come close to the Bi-xenons.

I also did the iJDMTOY H15s same as you, but I got the errors. Another poster was able to get these bulbs in without errors like you but the hi-beams were not reliable and would flicker out. Also, I've heard these LED hi-beams don't have the lumens to be effective as hi-beams. I decided for me it wasn't worth splicing in a cheap resistor - having something get red-hot unseen in my hood to screw with the electrical current just to have a slightly better looking colors to my DRL - I just switched them off.

The problem with your visibility at night isn't the color of the light, but the output of the bulb. Putting blue coatings on halogens makes the color temperature cooler but actually restricts the light output. This is just common sense since something that is tinted will never let as much light through as something that is clear. Lots more details on this in other forums.

And many say the fog lights put light where you don't need it at night - to the front of the car on things you've already run over and towards the sides, where it can actually interfere with your visibility down the road by messing with your eyes. I have the fog lights, swapped those out with X-treme visions but there isn't much of a difference there. Generally I leave the fogs off.

I've done quite a bit of shopping for those H15 bulbs - there are very few options out there and the ones that are is that chinese garbage that would probably melt your headlight. When those osrams become available in the US I'll give them a shot, but according to other posters even a blue tinted H15 bulb will still be slightly yellow on the DRL because of the reduced current being sent to the bulb. If you find somewhere to get those please post a link.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the H15 Osram Cool Blue Intense 12V 55/15W Halogen Bulbs in the UK if anyone is interested. This is to replace the yellowish stock bulbs for DRLs and high-beams. From what I have read the Osrams are 3700 K. Just ordered a pair from ABD.co.uk can't wait to try them.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is not an HID no halogen no matter how good will be better or "bluer" than a bi-xenon. These Osrams are simply called cool blue intense and this at least to me sounds more like a marketing term than an accurate description, since according to the spec sheet they can achieve a color temperature up to 4,200 K (albeit the box says 3,700 K) which is nowhere near 5,000 K. I guess we will see.

With regards to the output intensity it's all about the lumens. The stock H15s that the GLA 250 comes with (Osram 64176) have 260 DRL/1350 high-beam lumens and their Kelvin rating is close to 3,000 K. The replacements I just ordered (Osram 64176CBI) have a rating closer to or exceeding 4,000 K with 200 DRL/1330 high-beam lumens. Not a huge downgrade in lumens so I remain optimistic :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I just ordered these from powerbulbs.com in the UK. Free shipping to the US. Update to follow receipt and install.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back to LEDs

@Kcgla Did you get those H15 bulbs from the UK installed yet? What do you think? Please send pictures, I'd like to see how the DRL color turned out.
Well I just ordered these from powerbulbs.com in the UK. Free shipping to the US. Update to follow receipt and install.
Hey guys, high beam is great. The output is really bright and feels as if it's covering a much greater distance. The DRL is a bit yellowish for my taste though. Overall much better bulbs than the stock. I never use the high-beam so after a month I went back to the H15 LED ones. These are super bright and white DRLs but they often throw errors when high beam comes on. Hopefully pretty soon someone is going to come up with a 5000K bulb that works in high beam mode as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts

3 weeks ago I bought a GLA 250 with the regular lightening package. The only thing I don't like about it is the DTR lights and wanted to replace only them.
I ordered Osram 64176 cbi from autobulbsdirect.co.uk 2 weeks ago and already received them. I live in LA, CA. I took them to the dealership to see if they can replace the yellow ones. They told me they can do it for 80$ but I would lose the warranty on headlamps and there were cases that replaced bulbs fried the wiring and burnt out the socket.

I am not sure what to do now since I don't want to lose the warranty and mess up the headlamps. But on the other hand, the stock bulbs are Osram 64176, so it should be the same bulb but different color.

Has anyone already installed Osram 64176 cbi and how did it turn out?

Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's ridiculous, your dealer is a jackass. You can't void the warranty by replacing an H15 halogen bulb with a different H15 halogen bulb.

Osram is a reputable company, one of the top suppliers of bulbs. The stock bulbs are Osram.

Swap it out, it will take you less than 5 min for both. The bulb is easy to access. Wear gloves and don't get any finger smudges on the bulb itself.

Then please take pics before and after and post. I suspect the DRL will still be more yellow than you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have seen a headlight on carid.com and they have aheadlight thats suppose to be plug and play for moast GLA models, has anyone tried this and if yes how did it go, they actually look very original and the company that makes them is Lumen, i was ready to purchase, but it shows it can fit the GLA 2015 Model(180,200,250,45amg) but it doesnt mention the GLA 220D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts