Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed H&R's sway bar combo for the GLA45? The front bar is 30mm and the rear is 26mm. The manufacturer's part# is 33849-3. It's kinda difficult to tell if it's a gray market item or not but it should fit if I'm reading this correctly...

"Fits Mercedes A-Klasse B-Klasse CLA incl Shooting Brake GLA incl 45"

·
Registered
475 Posts
Do you do auto cross? are you racing this?
if the car has too much body roll for you then install these, if you happy in stock then enjoy.
The car is perfect daily driver, i do 70 miles per day and no complain, city/highways and its perfect.
Install them if you need it, who give a **** what other think on this matter. gray market item???? who cares.
just make it faster, i 'd say if you still in stock mode.
C
p.s.
dont waist money on sway bars, pls.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry Steiner, I don't have any input on sway bars. I think the GLA 45 is in such small numbers and with a fairly high price, there are not many who own them and even fewer who tune them.

I'm with you, it's nice to have a little support. Getting bashed turns people off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have H&R Sport springs for my GLA45. I would install sway bars if I could get a clear picture from H&R website about them being model specific for the GLA45. The springs alone make cornering better. I would love even better cornering with sway bars.

By the way there are a few of us with modified 45’s. Just do some searching on the forum and you’ll see our modifications.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have H&R Sport springs for my GLA45. I would install sway bars if I could get a clear picture from H&R website about them being model specific for the GLA45. The springs alone make cornering better. I would love even better cornering with sway bars.

By the way there are a few of us with modified 45’s. Just do some searching on the forum and you’ll see our modifications.
How is the ride with the H&R springs? fairly Comfortable?

I have the Eibach's springs and it's really rough and hard.

i'm thinking of putting back to stock... :|

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can’t really give you an apples to apples comparison because I went to smaller lighter rims and different sized tires at the same time. But with that, it’s a little more bumpy. I will tell you it’s handles much better on the twisties.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure on fit but I would think for better handling some stiffer springs and coilovers would be great. I'm not a track expert but the 45's handle pretty good for their size with the stock suspension.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anybody installed aftermarket sway bars on their GLA45 yet, H&R or otherwise? A few different vendors are now selling these online.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts

hey, I have those springs on the parts shelf along with the Kmac bushings waiting for mod time...

what do you measure from level ground to the fender edge with the h&r's? I like a raked car, planning on just putting the fronts on.

did you also have that knuckle cracking sound on the right front when backing over over an irregularity with the wheel turned?

Thanks Dodgeman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anybody installed aftermarket sway bars on their GLA45 yet, H&R or otherwise? A few different vendors are now selling these online.
I have a set of H&R sway bars for the GLA45 that I purchased while I was still in Germany, but have yet to install them.
Part number is 33849-3 and it's a direct replacement for the A, B, CLA, and GLA Class Including AMG models. They all share the same chassis so mounting points are the same. The set works for the 4MATIC models and the only the front sway bar for the front FWD models.

Here's a link to the TUV paperwork where it says it is certified for the A/B/CLA/GLA models, meaning they have been tested and deemed road worthy.

https://www.h-r.com/bin/33849.pdf

I'm in the middle of a move and probably won't be able to install mine until late fall. The rear seems fairly straight forward, it's the front that could possibly be a little time consuming. The front sway bar is connection on top of the front subframe and I would need to hoist or brace the engine from the top and disconnect the engine bottom engine mounts in order to drop the front subframe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a set of H&R sway bars for the GLA45 that I purchased while I was still in Germany, but have yet to install them.
Part number is 33849-3 and it's a direct replacement for the A, B, CLA, and GLA Class Including AMG models. They all share the same chassis so mounting points are the same. The set works for the 4MATIC models and the only the front sway bar for the front FWD models.

Here's a link to the TUV paperwork where it says it is certified for the A/B/CLA/GLA models, meaning they have been tested and deemed road worthy.

I'm in the middle of a move and probably won't be able to install mine until late fall. The rear seems fairly straight forward, it's the front that could possibly be a little time consuming. The front sway bar is connection on top of the front subframe and I would need to hoist or brace the engine from the top and disconnect the engine bottom engine mounts in order to drop the front subframe.
Have you install your rear sway bar finally ?

Do you have some Picture of how you manage to do the job ? are sure is that simple ?

I did it on many of my others car, but on GLA the sway bar is hide and I'm a little bit worry.

thnks

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Just called H&R directly. They do not make sway bars for the GLA45.

Hey,

So my mazda knowledge may apply here,

A Mazda 3 has a sub model MazdaSpeed 3 As the the GLA250 has a submodel GLA45AMG

and the differences are far more than a turbo and Wing
more of a bluesmobile package.
and Parts were a mess for along time. Rock, Napa, autozone, all with parts marked Mazda 3, MS3, 2004~2009
that just don't fit a speed.
to make this more pertinent, for awhile, you could grab a whiteline, or JBR etc Bar for your Speed, then turn around and sell your OEM speed bar to one of the regular 3 guys on the forum.

The point is It is a Niche market
Just over 7000 speed 6's made it to north america. A spring company has to justify tooling cost vs potential market

so, assume that the bar on a 45 is way more gooder than a 250

anything marketed as fitting a 250, may well bolt on a 45,...... but is it as stiff as what you took off?

oh, and the istall... dunno about the GLA, but it can suck major nutsack, or be easy peasy. I've found taking the Factory allocated repair time, and tripleing it to be a good start

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you install your rear sway bar finally ?

Do you have some Picture of how you manage to do the job ? are sure is that simple ?

I did it on many of my others car, but on GLA the sway bar is hide and I'm a little bit worry.

thnks
I haven't unfortunately, still settling in the new house and I have other priorities that I need to do first before the sway bars. You'll need to brace the engine from the top, disconnect the engine mounts that are bolted to the subframe. And then drop the front subframe in order to access the front sway bar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't unfortunately, still settling in the new house and I have other priorities that I need to do first before the sway bars. You'll need to brace the engine from the top, disconnect the engine mounts that are bolted to the subframe. And then drop the front subframe in order to access the front sway bar.
I'm only interested in the rear sway bar , not the front. Any way keep us aware about how this installation is going when done.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts