Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I dug through my GLA45 original documents. I purchased it just under 3 years ago and the powertrain warranty is up soon, 6-5-20.

Anyhow, @ricke , I figured you might find this doc of mine interesting... my GLA45 may have been the first to suffer transmission issues, and it happened quickly at 2,296 miles(!) Mercedes actually bought my vehicle back from the original owner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would like to add to this: my recently purchased MB certified 2016 GLA45 started to experience the same grinding noise shifting into R, at just 16K miles. Dropped it off at local dealership at Euromotorcars Devon - with whom I have a longish history (lots of Mercedes in family - simply love them). They rebuilding the transmission under warranty, no questions, not even a discussion / debate about it. MB original or certified warranty is honored at any dealership. I've never had any issues with dealers in my area (purchased vehicles at other dealerships as well) about warranty work. As these cars are hard to find, I even bought it out of state. So if your dealership is giving you grief about the warranty work on the transmission - go to another dealer. It does seem like there are issues with the tranny's for the 2016 model year (wonder about the '15). I prefer buying MB certified pre-owned of a late year car in a particular model's run. Except that selection in GLA45's is limited, especially for the better specced ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I dug through my GLA45 original documents. I purchased it just under 3 years ago and the powertrain warranty is up soon, 6-5-20.

Anyhow, @ricke , I figured you might find this doc of mine interesting... my GLA45 may have been the first to suffer transmission issues, and it happened quickly at 2,296 miles(!) Mercedes actually bought my vehicle back from the original owner.

View attachment 25695
Funny, I remember looking at this car when I was searching for an AMG 45. Their ad did mention the trans rebuild, but did not provide much other info, and they were a little high on price, so I passed. I could not get any info on the phone either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also, does anyone have issues with shifting from park to reverse, or from drive to reverse? Many times I have to re-engage reverse to get it to go into gear. It seems cumbersome, and it does not pay to be in a hurry. My car has always had this problem, before and after trans service. Otherwise, trans is fine in normal operation.

·
Super Moderator
1,699 Posts
If you don't have adequate pressure on the brake pedal it will not allow reverse to be engaged. I had this problem more than once. Now I use the back up camera to verify the car got into reverse.

·
Registered
51 Posts
yeah this happens to me all the time too especially if i'm not completely stopped going forward. i thought it's another way to protect the transmission too.

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
It took/takes me awhile to adjust to the transmission-on-stalk interface. In fact it's about the only thing I don't like about the GLA. I suppose it's a nice way to provide more cupholder, etc. space but I'm an ol' dog and would prefer a return to something more substantial.
I too use the backup camera engagement to verify. And as Wayne also cites the brake pedal position microswitch needs to be engaged as well. Given the ever more distracted driver these days the manufacturers are incorporating ever more mechanical/computer safeguards which can cause hiccups if you get out of sequence.
[soapbox on] Just before logging on I saw a vehicle commercial advertising lane-keeping alert/steering assist as the driver dropped French fries in his lap. As an automotive enthusiast I don't like most of these Big Brother intrusions but if distracted driving is now the 'accepted' norm perhaps it is time for fully autonomous systems [soapbox off].

If you don't have adequate pressure on the brake pedal it will not allow reverse to be engaged. I had this problem more than once. Now I use the back up camera to verify the car got into reverse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Sorry to see others have the same issue, but at least I know it is systemic. It is annoying, but I can adjust. Lol.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Funny, I remember looking at this car when I was searching for an AMG 45. Their ad did mention the trans rebuild, but did not provide much other info, and they were a little high on price, so I passed. I could not get any info on the phone either.
I was searching nationwide and having a tough time finding anything. I'm pretty sure ours just had a whole new transmission put in, but I can't be sure. 3 years later the transmission has been flawless, so it worked out alright. We paid $48.5k for the thing... had 2,300 miles, full factory warranty, $69.8k MSRP. It felt like a pretty good deal to us at the time.

Reactions: warp

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have tried searching for this issue but could not find anything here.

My car recently has started to produce a grinding sound when shifting into reverse. Over the past week or so, it started only when cold, but now it's doing mid day 70 degrees F.

I've searched other forums and youtube and this is a real issue. In some cases the transmission has been replaced to solve the problem, so there is documentation that MB is fully aware and actively engaged with providing solutions.

My car will go to the dealer tomorrow and I will produce video of this artifact in case they come back with the "we can't reproduce the noise" reply.
I'm curious if anyone here has had the same experience.

Go to your car dealer, it should help you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts