Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all - somewhat longtime lurker here - i used to post on a couple social media groups but left most social media platforms lol and decided to pivot to the forums.

i'm located in nebraska and am a happy owner of a 2015 mountain grey metallic gla45:

it currently is tork tuned and full bolt-on running E85 on stock turbo and stock fuel pumps.

thanks for having me and i look forward to learning and contributing. (y)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Tell me more about your setup. what bolt ons do you have to support E85, what kind of outputs are you getting? I have always wondered if it is possible to move to E85 for track days and run on 91 for the rest of the year, can you go back and forth fairly easily? The gas mileage on E85 seems brutal for high output cars with small gas tanks.

Oh, and welcome :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tell me more about your setup. what bolt ons do you have to support E85, what kind of outputs are you getting? I have always wondered if it is possible to move to E85 for track days and run on 91 for the rest of the year, can you go back and forth fairly easily? The gas mileage on E85 seems brutal for high output cars with small gas tanks.

Oh, and welcome :)
it is ridiculously awesome - i am hoping to get some dragy's now that we finally have actual E85 back (like actually ~85%).

here's so far what i've learned: in most states in the US from what i've seen, actual 85% E85 is only available from late spring (if you're lucky and depending how far north you are) until early fall. for instance, in nebraska we just finally got 84-85% at the pump a week or two ago from what i've seen, and some stations are still carrying ~E79. so it depends on the station and how quickly they switch over from grade 2 (spring / fall grade) to grade 1 (summer grade). i was lucky enough last week to find ~84-85% at one particular station. i didn't test this station during the winter / early spring but i'm guessing i would have found a much lower percentage.

i have two versions of my Tork E85 tune - conservative and aggressive. i casually call them stage 1 and stage 2, lol (i don't think they're officially named). stage 2 is tuned for actual E85 or as close to it as you can get percentage wise. for instance, they (specifically, [email protected]) tuned burbles into my tune at my request and i have just noticed that i only hear them with actual E85 (E79 on "stage 2" will run fine but though i haven't data logged, it will purposely "fall on it's face" in higher levels of boost so it doesn't send a piston through the block [this is my layman language lol so forgive me for not being specific but i'm sure y'all understand what i mean]).

i also use an upper cylinder lube (suggested by the tuner) with the E85 as it is harsh and it should preserve the stock fuel pumps, lol.

the cold start leaves a lot to be desired however. anything below say 55-60 degrees Fahrenheit (ambient) is definitely not the best as it fires right up but struggles for perhaps a 30 seconds to a minute or so but it eventually smooths itself out. i've worked with the tuner a bit to smooth it out but hopefully we can eventually get it better.

i can switch back to normal gasoline by simply flashing a gasoline tune on (i have the tork stage 1 and 2 tunes). i will do this after september or so as my state switches to winter grade and the best i can get is between E74-79.

the "stage 2" aggressive E85 tune is something to behold though. it is seat of the pants feel significantly faster than the stage 2 gasoline tune. i just have to get an actual dragy lol to back this up. i've been waiting for true E85 since october! now that i'm running actual E85 though this thing has become a bit of a street weapon.

in terms of the mpg, i haven't tracked it specifically but honestly it doesn't seem that bad compared to the gas tune. in fact, a couple weeks ago i was lamenting at how long it was taking to burn through the E74-79 that was in the tank when i discovered actual E85 available at this particular station. so perhaps it depends on the tuner? currently it costs significantly less at the pump so i'm pleased either way. :)

i'd be happy to create a new thread once i get some actual output on it. i love the car this way though - it truly feels like it was meant to run on E85. when i have to switch back to the gas tune i hate my life lol.

oh i'm running the AMS intake and PLM catless downpipe and midpipe and some other small things (turbo blanket, throttle booster, etc).

glad to be here, btw! :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am sure dollars per mile are similar or worse for E85. Cheaper, but MPG should end up being pretty low, from my discussions at local shops?

Dragy I assume is a GPS drag race timer? I'd be very curious about lag and the actual curves of acceleration vs speed. I also assume, perhaps incorrectly, that low RPM acceleration is poor as well as low speed. I'm curious the relative change of both comparing gas tune and E85 tune. In other words, do you need your 30-60 time to be significantly boosted to compensate for poorer 0-30 time? The relevance of the concern is debatable, but super-tight turns on track leave me at low RPM and slow, and low response time is noticeable compared to cars with tons of low end torque.

How do you apply the upper cylinder lube, and how do you determine if you are having any issues with corrosion or other E85 issues before they become catastrophes?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good questions. i'd be happy to do some data logging - i have an obdlink mx and torque / obdlink app and so i can see what i can pull for logs - if there is anything specific anyone would like to see, please let me know. in the meantime i plan to change the transmission fluid and rotate tires before attempting a launch (i've never launched it).

the upper cylinder lube is added while filling the tank - here is what i use:

the car has become such a blast that i'm contemplating moving up to a pure550, but i believe that i will have to upgrade my hpfp before doing so. of course, sometimes you have to wonder when enough is enough lol (is that even a question)? in other words, the car has become enough of a handful that i am contemplating that exact question, and this has never happened on another car. i don't know. i love the thing. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks for joining. Interested in any step by step tuning advice.
thanks. it's nice to chat w/the g/cla crowd again :cool: also nice to have a spot to ask q's as they come up. what tuning advice were you looking for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts