Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new 2018, GLA250 owner.
What options are there for GPS besides buying SD Card for $600?
I need simple, step by step explanation because I am 65 years old. my phone is an iphone.
Please help! Thanks!

·
694 Posts
You can buy the Garman Map Pilot card online for less than $100. They might not be the latest version of maps but will work, you will just miss any new roads that were built in the past few years which there are very few new roads. Once you get the SD card just slid it in the slot on the dash and follow directions. I have bought several over the past 4 years for different cars and had no problems. Note make sure the SD card is not a used one and they can not be moved from one car to another car as they are coded for one car use only. When you put it in the first time it is coded to that car.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Super Moderator
509 Posts
I'm 69 and I don't need simple step-by-step explanations. 🤷‍♂️ [semi-teasing]

As gbarringer well cites the 'aftermarket' Garmin SD card is straightforward as the vehicle already has the hardware & firmware that will recognize same. He's the resident expert on same so if you go this route you'll have plenty of setup guidance available.

I'm fairly new to Waze but also find it of value and of course it's always up to date to include user feedback insights. My daughter has been relying on Waze almost since inception and finally got this ol' dog to learn a new trick. We both use the Weathertech cupholder mount and it's a simple solution.

Most of the time I know at least generally where I'm going (ol' school pre-flight) so all I really want is to hear some confirmation that I'm proceeding as planned. I do appreciate a visual display but typically it's just for an orientation glance, keeping eyes on the road, and again audio is what I value most.

Since you have an iPhone give the Waze App a try. If you want more then the Garmin SD card is the way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a new 2018, GLA250 owner.
What options are there for GPS besides buying SD Card for $600?
I need simple, step by step explanation because I am 65 years old. my phone is an iphone.
Please help! Thanks!
Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 69 and I don't need simple step-by-step explanations. 🤷‍♂️ [semi-teasing]

As gbarringer well cites the 'aftermarket' Garmin SD card is straightforward as the vehicle already has the hardware & firmware that will recognize same. He's the resident expert on same so if you go this route you'll have plenty of setup guidance available.

I'm fairly new to Waze but also find it of value and of course it's always up to date to include user feedback insights. My daughter has been relying on Waze almost since inception and finally got this ol' dog to learn a new trick. We both use the Weathertech cupholder mount and it's a simple solution.

Most of the time I know at least generally where I'm going (ol' school pre-flight) so all I really want is to hear some confirmation that I'm proceeding as planned. I do appreciate a visual display but typically it's just for an orientation glance, keeping eyes on the road, and again audio is what I value most.

Since you have an iPhone give the Waze App a try. If you want more then the Garmin SD card is the way to go.
Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts