Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to show info from Google maps (eg - compass, next turn, speed limit, anything really) instead of it just saying Android Auto Active in the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Change your display to nav by pressing right on the wheel and it will show you the next direction instructed by Google maps or waze

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't work for me it just shows android auto active when I go to that option. Do you have an SD card satnav?

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
As Lewy C cited, steering wheel < and > buttons:

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 6.51.05 AM.png

And yes, you need a Navigation source (Comand or SD card based) to show same on the gauge cluster central Multifunction display.

Android Auto should be available on the dashboard central display if you have that capability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're saying without the SD card or command nav, android auto, a completely different navigation system, doesn't display on the instrument cluster? If that's indeed the case, that's really a shame. I'm really not impressed by the Mercedes nav software and don't see any merit to paying 500$ just to get a next turn show up on my instrument cluster

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
I was attempting to answer your initial question. Comand and SD card Nav show next turn etc. on the central multifunction display. By your example it doesn't appear that even if Android-Google Maps [or CarPlay-Waze] is enabled it will, but I am not sure as I just have Comand so will await other's input.
Note that Lewy C is in Britain so it may not be the same for us in North America.
It would be helpful if you listed your model type and year in your signature as firmware capabilities change over time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It may depends on the car model year. On my 2017 GLA 250, the nav direction only works for built-in GPS software, not Android Auto or CarPlay. Exactly the way OP describes. It might have changed for later model years, I don't know. Those posted above say it worked, which model year is your car?

·
622 Posts
I had a 2016 and now 2019, both had Garmin Map Pilot. When I got 2016 I bought the SD card from MB for $600. When I got 2019 I bought the SD card on Amazon around $90 and downloaded the MB Download Manager and updated the SD firmware and maps. The Garmin is the same maps and program had on a Garmin GPS from a few ago. It shows turn by turn and on interstate highways a split-screen with a picture and arrows in lanes you are suppose to be in for turns. I like the Garmin Map Pilot very much and it has free updates using the download manager.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a 2016 and now 2019, both had Garmin Map Pilot. When I got 2016 I bought the SD card from MB for $600. When I got 2019 I bought the SD card on Amazon around $90 and downloaded the MB Download Manager and updated the SD firmware and maps. The Garmin is the same maps and program had on a Garmin GPS from a few ago. It shows turn by turn and on interstate highways a split-screen with a picture and arrows in lanes you are suppose to be in for turns. I like the Garmin Map Pilot very much and it has free updates using the download manager.
That's not the question OP asks. Does your 2019 shows Nav directions on the instrument screen when Android Auto or Apple Car Play is used?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Given the recent story about BMW gets the world's first to display additional info from Apple CarPlay (which supports second screen display) on instrument panel, I'd guess there is no way ANY existing cars display such info on instrument panel from Android Auto.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts