Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with the 20" black wheels replaced their tires, and if so, with what tires. OEM size is 235/40R20, and the only replacement that comes up on TireRack is the OEM Conti. It's not necessarily the price that is a turn off (though, it is a little steep), but the low life on them that bugs me. They perform well, but I don't want to keep replacing them once or twice a year.

I've seen a lot of threads talking about winter tires or different sizes, so I thought I'd ask. I'm in the Bay Area (California) where we don't experience extreme cold, so I'm looking for something along the summer or all-weather line. TIA.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Michelin Pilot SuperSport 245/40 R20 is my first choice for tyres when I change the Contis.

·
Registered
106 Posts
.... but the low life on them that bugs me.
I have found that tires on new cars always wear faster than the same tires bought new from a tire shop. I think most car manufacturers install a cheaper version just to get you going.

I wonder if others have had the same experience with tires from the factory.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I replaced mine at 6000 miles when they wore out, dealer said Conti was only replacement so I did it, plus they gave me one free and I paid for second, but I looked just the other day and Michelin had an exact size replacement and Tire Rack has on their site, should also be available locally. Those will be my next replacements.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys! My 45 is only about 2mos old with about 1800 miles on it. I'll let you guys know when they start to wear down and what I decide to go with. I'm leaning towards the Michelins, but if anyone finds that rayman is right about cheap starter tires, then I might consider getting Contis again. Though wear seems to be an issue when reading most reviews, I'm not sure how many people are talking about the originals from the dealer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for reminding me, m-type! I've always loved notbland's GLA... the cleanest and most unique GLA out there IMHO!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have about 30k miles on my 2016 GLA45 and am now needing to replace the front tires for the third time in three years through the dealer.

Has anyone tried the Michelin Ultra High Performance All-Season Pilot Sport 235/40zr20? Are these a suitable replacement for the Contisport Contact 235/40zr20 96y that the dealer uses? And will the dealer install these tires for me?

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
I'm a Michelin fan. I've never had a bad tire from them. Their tires have fixed dynamic problems for me. I put the MP4S on Pam's 45 and they are a big improvement over the Contis IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have some other service items that I need to have the dealer take care of for me and was wondering if they will also install these tires for me without any issue.

Thanks so much for your quick response. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found that tires on new cars always wear faster than the same tires bought new from a tire shop. I think most car manufacturers install a cheaper version just to get you going.

I wonder if others have had the same experience with tires from the factory.
I just ordered my 4th set of tires at 44,000 miles! SO NO, these tires are just soft and wear out way too fast.

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
I used to get 5K miles on the tires on my Lotus cars. A lot depends on how you drive them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
At this stage there are the two Michelin’s, the continentals and these Atturo.
the only thing I can say is that they are probably Chinese tires and the understanding with many of these never heard of brands, is that they buy a design and a compound that have been discontinued by the big brands and resurrect it under their name.
What is the wear number ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
At this stage there are the two Michelin’s, the continentals and these Atturo.
the only thing I can say is that they are probably Chinese tires and the understanding with many of these never heard of brands, is that they buy a design and a compound that have been discontinued by the big brands and resurrect it under their name.
What is the wear number ?
These are 320 Threadwear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts