Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I test drove a Macan Turbo Friday morning and then experienced extreme sticker shock. After seeing some discussion on the Porsche forums about the GLA45 AMG, I decided to try one out. Good Gawd! What has Mercedes done? This car is beyond incredible. I now know why this car was rated above the Macan Turbo (essentially identical performance figures to the GLA) and the Macan was sent off to be the soccer mom's ride du jour. Also known as the car that Porsche would create if it were to make Barbie's dream ride.

Don't get me wrong, the MT is a great car, but it does not have the fun factor of the GLA nor the almost $30K price differential. My main gripe with the GLA is the 1000 mile break-in on the engine--I am dying to let her rip. While tooling around at normal speeds, I've been discovering all the things MB put on this car--mind boggling!

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome to the forum and you made a great choice! Congrats!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello all,

I test drove a Macan Turbo Friday morning and then experienced extreme sticker shock. After seeing some discussion on the Porsche forums about the GLA45 AMG, I decided to try one out. Good Gawd! What has Mercedes done? This car is beyond incredible. I now know why this car was rated above the Macan Turbo (essentially identical performance figures to the GLA) and the Macan was sent off to be the soccer mom's ride du jour. Also known as the car that Porsche would create if it were to make Barbie's dream ride.

Don't get me wrong, the MT is a great car, but it does not have the fun factor of the GLA nor the almost $30K price differential. My main gripe with the GLA is the 1000 mile break-in on the engine--I am dying to let her rip. While tooling around at normal speeds, I've been discovering all the things MB put on this car--mind boggling!
I agree. I drove the Macan and felt completely separated from the road. I was doing a ridiculous speed before I knew it - and that was the problem - I couldn't tell! There is just no appeal to driving it...And then the front tires started squealing going into a turn for the highway entrance ramp. I was impressed, Soccer Mom's indeed. Admittedly, on the flip side, the interior controls are incredible and I like the Bumester option. But, still I placed my order for a GLA just today.

By the way, they are no longer taking orders for 2015....2016 only and it is a 4 month wait.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You were able to place a 16 order? My dealer has said they cannot take orders for 16s yet and do not even possess the order guide.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, I was going to order a 2015, but they tried to do it and said they can't order anymore 15's. They said I won't be able to take delivery for 4 months, but for the inconvenience, they let me have the same spec 16 at 15 pricing minus $4K. They are losing money but want my business. It's a small town dealer, so I'm pretty sure they are good for it, but only time will tell. I gave them a deposit, they gave me a pricing sheet with the general managers signature on it, and a receipt for my deposit. I guess we'll see.

The sales consultant actually couldn't believe that the GM did that for me. But I'm good with it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. I drove the Macan and felt completely separated from the road. I was doing a ridiculous speed before I knew it - and that was the problem - I couldn't tell! There is just no appeal to driving it...And then the front tires started squealing going into a turn for the highway entrance ramp. I was impressed, Soccer Mom's indeed. Admittedly, on the flip side, the interior controls are incredible and I like the Bumester option. But, still I placed my order for a GLA just today.
I had two 914's in my youth and when I drove the 45 I was transported back. Now, whenever I drive the growler I have this silly grin that I can't seem to shake.

I have yet to see a Macan owner who likes the Burmester--my wife and I were blown away by H-K's Logic©7 system in the 45.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews abut the Burmester in the Macan. There wasn't one in the Macan I test drove, but it didn't matter. It wouldn't have convinced me to buy the vehicle anyway. But I can't imagine that one of the best audio equipment makers in the world wouldn't sound great when custom fitted for a paticular cabin and then charged with 1000 watts...But then again, I haven't heard it, so maybe it isn't that great. But for almot $6K, it should be nothing less than fantastic. It is sad to even hear that some say it isn't worth it, no pun intended.

I actually found the harman's logic 7 to be great with crisp high's and mid range but the lows were seriously lacking. And overall the stereo system lacked power. One of the first things I am going to do when my GLA45 arrives is rip out the amp and sub and replace them both. The second would be to tint the windows as dark as legally possible!

I loved the 914's back in the day....They were neat little guys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Totally agree on the Burmester...at that price only oohs and aaahs should be heard.

On the 45 the woofer and amp are neatly tucked into the space where the spare belongs--so it should be any easy upgrade.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Perfect!!
The rest of the speakers are strategically placed and sized for the vehicle, so I will not be changing those out or the head unit of course....I digress.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here is the said amp and woofer in the rear hatch area (bottom area… the top item is the air pump/sealant kit for the non run flat tires)>>>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts