Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Picked up a GLA250 recently and am very happy with the car. While I love the 45, I really don't need the bigger rims with the road conditions here, and I'll never get to use the brakes and suspension the way they were meant to be used. I do however desire the engine performance. What are the differences mechanically between the 45 and the 250 drivetrains? I've done research on the different CPU upgrades available, and intake and exhaust, but they still don't seem to add up to the 45's hp and tq numbers. What am I missing?

·
Registered
816 Posts
The AMG45 engine is a special creature… besides being hand built (One Man/Woman One Engine philosophy) the parts of the engine are manufactured in different fashion from block and head castings, DI system, IC size (has two ICs), intake, to the pistons and rings. The engine at a minimum is putting out 180 hp/L (for 2016 187 hp/L) with a large 332 to 350 lbs torque. Can not get numbers (with durability) like that with ECU mod or add-on bits..a complete engineering and performance package. Also the AMG model comes with a AMG tuned torque vectoring 4Matic..think of it as a speed shifting variant of the standard 4Matic, AMG lowered suspension (shocks, springs and bars), exhaust and brakes (4 pot version on the front). Caution on getting a ECU for the 250 where claims of 300+hp are common…the 250 internals are not designed for the higher boost (where most of the power gains are achieved).

If interested, here are some more details>> http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspecial/gla45/index_eng.php#performance

And video>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ0da6GjdZA

Obviously, there is a noticeable price diff in the 250 vs the AMG45…

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what I'm trying to find out is what exactly they share and what is different. I imagine the engine architecture is identical. Besides being hand built, they must share at least some internals. Is there anyplace I can see all the specs side by side? Are the cam specs different? Are the injectors different? Are the turbos different, etc.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Not sure where you can find a side by side technical comparison. To the three questions: Yes, Yes and Yes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Usually between AMG and standard Benz engines the changes in the engine are: different bore/stroke, forged/machined/billet rods/pistons/rings/and so on to deal with the extra boost pressure. Same, as mentioned above, dual intercoolers. Different cams, probably different injectors and fuel rails. The obvious things are different software etc. Basically LOTS is different. I would guess that beyond the base block and some bolts not much matches up. Here's a read on it: Mercedes-AMG

I too want a regular GLA with the M133 engine and tranny - I want the higher clearance etc and don't care for the "sporty" amg seats, etc. As a former C63 owner - I can appreciate it for sure, but the lower ground clearance is a deal breaker for me living with speed humps daily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Usually between AMG and standard Benz engines the changes in the engine are: different bore/stroke, forged/machined/billet rods/pistons/rings/and so on to deal with the extra boost pressure. Same, as mentioned above, dual intercoolers. Different cams, probably different injectors and fuel rails. The obvious things are different software etc. Basically LOTS is different. I would guess that beyond the base block and some bolts not much matches up. Here's a read on it: Mercedes-AMG

I too want a regular GLA with the M133 engine and tranny - I want the higher clearance etc and don't care for the "sporty" amg seats, etc. As a former C63 owner - I can appreciate it for sure, but the lower ground clearance is a deal breaker for me living with speed humps daily.
Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey BERK, I had the same questions as you when looking at the 45 vs the 250. I wanted the performance of the tuned engine, and the crisp note of the exhaust from the 45 but wanted the ride height of the 250 with the more CUV-like look and didn't want a harsher, more firm ride.

In the end I choose the 250 instead of the the 45, since I really thought it more of a hot hatch and that wasn't what we needed at the time. But I do always drive my 250 in S mode as the revs are higher and shift points better than E. I don't need to be driving around the city in 6th gear!

Now if only MB made the 45 with ride height adjustable suspension, like a Range Rover, I'd be sold!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts