1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

My GLA45 myr2017 with 74k km mileage is throwing the below code:

B1F4500 - The starter battery has excessive resistance
B21059A - The capacity of the starter battery is too low. The operating conditions for the component or the system are not satisfied.

I have change the Auxiliary Battery to new one and yet is showing the above code. The Start/Stop function is not working.

anyone has idea what is wrong? could it be the big battery?

·
Super Moderator
952 Posts
Yes, more likely the main 12V lead-acid battery. Six years is the average lifespan with some shorter/longer.

The "starter battery" is I believe referring to the engine starter motor and therefore the capacity of the main 12V, and not the fuel economy supporting engine start/stop that is augmented by the small Li-ion battery.

You could try a good modern "smart" battery tender (not ol' school trickle charger) overnight/longer just to see if this remedies the codes in the mean time.

You could also have a capacity load test done on your main 12V battery. Most any automotive products or battery shop can do this chemical-electrical analysis.
Hi Guys

My GLA45 myr2017 with 74k km mileage is throwing the below code:

B1F4500 - The starter battery has excessive resistance
B21059A - The capacity of the starter battery is too low. The operating conditions for the component or the system are not satisfied.

I have change the Auxiliary Battery to new one and yet is showing the above code. The Start/Stop function is not working.

anyone has idea what is wrong? could it be the big battery?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, more likely the main 12V lead-acid battery. Six years is the average lifespan with some shorter/longer.

The "starter battery" is I believe referring to the engine starter motor and therefore the capacity of the main 12V, and not the fuel economy supporting engine start/stop that is augmented by the small Li-ion battery.

You could try a good modern "smart" battery tender (not ol' school trickle charger) overnight/longer just to see if this remedies the codes in the mean time.

You could also have a capacity load test done on your main 12V battery. Most any automotive products or battery shop can do this chemical-electrical analysis.
The 12V battery was replaced 2 years ago with the original MB battery unit. it could I was unlucky to received a bad unit?

But I didn't have any issue in cranking up the engine after 2 weeks park untouched.

·
Super Moderator
952 Posts
The OE 12V main battery in our FL GLA had to be replaced just after its first annual 'A' service. So it's possible to get a bad one.

But given your further insight perhaps rather a bad sensor sending erroneous data?

The 12V battery was replaced 2 years ago with the original MB battery unit. it could I was unlucky to received a bad unit?

But I didn't have any issue in cranking up the engine after 2 weeks park untouched.

·
Super Moderator
2,123 Posts
Modern cars have parasitic draw on the battery when sitting. One week I have found can drain our battery sometimes. Other times it is fine after three weeks. We always lock the car the same way so I don't see a reason the battery lasts different amounts of time. But that is how it is.

I believe a part of this comes down to the way you are driving before you park. The charging system will allow a battery drain if the car "anticipates" a downhill so it can back charge the battery while you are off the throttle. This does two things ... it reduces load on the brakes while going downhill plus, with the alternator off at other times, it increases MPGs. I know that sometimes when we stop I can measure a full charge (12.6) on the battery and other times the voltage can be as low as 11.9.

Yeah, weird. But I've learned to plug in the battery tender frequently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Modern cars have parasitic draw on the battery when sitting. One week I have found can drain our battery sometimes. Other times it is fine after three weeks. We always lock the car the same way so I don't see a reason the battery lasts different amounts of time. But that is how it is.

I believe a part of this comes down to the way you are driving before you park. The charging system will allow a battery drain if the car "anticipates" a downhill so it can back charge the battery while you are off the throttle. This does two things ... it reduces load on the brakes while going downhill plus, with the alternator off at other times, it increases MPGs. I know that sometimes when we stop I can measure a full charge (12.6) on the battery and other times the voltage can be as low as 11.9.

Yeah, weird. But I've learned to plug in the battery tender frequently.
thanks mate

let me get the main battery replace to see if it solve the problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts