Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

GLA45 Steering Wheel

21K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  bader 
Question, can you skip songs / music via the steering wheel? doesnt seem to have dedicated buttons.
I know this question was asked a year ago, but since it hasn't gotten a reply yet, I'll answer for anyone in the future seeing the thread.

My GLA45 2015 has the older wheel pictured in the first post. You are correct that there are no dedicated buttons on the wheel for fast-forwarding or skipping to the next track. However, when you look through the steering wheel at the instrument panel, between the two gauges there is a small display that can be in one of several modes. One of the modes is an audio system mode that shows the current track being played and the progress into that track. When you are on that screen, you can hit the up arrow on the steering wheel and it will either skip to the next track or it will skip ahead 30 seconds (depending, I think, on the audio source).

I have a podcast app on my iPhone called Downcast, and I routinely listen to podcasts via Bluetooth in my GLA45. When I start the car, on the larger Nav/Command display in the center of the dash I see a prompt to "Connect to last device", which not only makes the Bluetooth connection to my iPhone but also starts to play whatever had previously been playing. Then I hit the up arrow on the steering wheel to skip ahead and the down arrow to skip back.

The downside to this, of course, is when you want to have some other thing displayed on the instrument panel you can't instantly skip with up or down. For example, I like to see the MPH displayed on that panel most of the time. But I know that the MPH display and the Audio one are only two steps away from each other, and that I can switch between them with three button presses on the steering wheel (first right arrow press shows the menu to switch screens, then two more presses of the same button to get from MPH to Audio in the display...three presses to the left to switch back to the MPH screen from the Audio one). So, not ideal, but also not too bad and it can be done without taking your eyes off the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.