Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI,
I am very surprised that we have to change rear dif. gear oil @ 10k and then @ 30k @$185 thats with the special $75.00 off. coupon.
is it the same set up / transmission as regular gla?
Seems too soon especially when most of work is in the front end.
C

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
I was surprised when I read that as well, but I didn't catch the every other 10K miles after the first change.

It looks like an easy job and I figured I'd do it every other 5K oil change (once we get ours, that is). Yeah, I feel 10K will be too long on the oil, but may adjust the schedule if the oil doesn't break down. To be seen.

Porsche is touting their output per liter on the new 991.2 Turbo S (Excellence Magazine). It is less than the GLA 45!!! There is a lot of power being handled by slipping disks in the rear end in these cars!

Still, the all wheel drive controller oil in the 911s gets changed only every 60K miles.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its actually 10k then 30K and i don't know the next time.
I do would like to know though , if someone know on this forum.
I ll be doing it myself next time, very easy stuff.

The car was at the dealer and i got free brake pads and rear rotors replaced at no charge due to the squeaky brakes.
so they told me the car over due and i went for it.
but oil at 10k is a joke, i always change every 3k, i do 5 k on this car, but not 10k.
c

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just changed the oil & filter, diff oil and air filter myself. Then reset the service indicator.
It was easy to do all 3. The diff oil was $40 from the dealer and will do 2 changes.
I paid $31 for the mobil 1 0w40 oil @walmart. $24 for the oil filter, $61 for air filter, $40 for diff oil @ dealer = $156 total.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I am thinking about doing the same. Could you please post the part number of oil, washer, etc. that you used?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hello Patrick and welcome to the GLA forum. This thread is about two years old, so you might not get a reply from the post you seem to be referencing. There are quite a few threads here on oil changes and products, which you can find by typing "oil change" in our Search box on the upper right of most browsers. Also, it will be helpful to answering these types of questions if you will add your general location as well as GLA model and year to your member profile, as models, specifications, and equipment vary across the many countries our members represent. You access that from the "User CP" link also on the upper right of most browsers.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just changed the oil & filter, diff oil and air filter myself. Then reset the service indicator.
It was easy to do all 3. The diff oil was $40 from the dealer and will do 2 changes.
I paid $31 for the mobil 1 0w40 oil @walmart. $24 for the oil filter, $61 for air filter, $40 for diff oil @ dealer = $156 total.
hope you go through all the steps, as i can see needs 2 people.

here is the link on how to do it right. this guys is very particular about his work.
c

·
Registered
4 Posts
Differential fluid

Just for the record: The correct part numbers are:

- Differential fluid: 001-989-52-03-10
- Fill plug: 000000-000884
- Seal ring: 007603-010110
- Drain plug: 002-990-77-17

Mitchell said you need 1.2L (3x bottles) of the fluids but I couldn't even use up 2 bottles. It also seems that the guy in the Youtube video couldn't use up 1L either.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Caug, thread is old, so have you had a chance to better understand the drivetrain? Very good writeup below. Spoke to MB dealer over the weekend for a quote and he was thinking $200 rear diff (likely aiming high since he was quoting), $495 front Tranny fluid and filter, but then he thought the front diff was separate and quoted another $200. When I speak with them in person since I want all this done at just under 20k miles (right now I cannot confirm the rear was done earlier since I bought it off lease), hopeful to have all done for $650. Expensive but then I only drive this about 5k a year, so I could let this go another 3yrs. I think comfortably.

Gears Magazine | New But Familiar: Introducing the New Mercedes Benz 7G DCT

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I want to definitely determine the correct part number for the rear differential fluid. I just returned from the dealer and bought 002-989-02-03-09. Can anyone confirm that this is the right part number? I called other dealers in the area and they really didn't seem to know for sure. Apparently a transmission fluid number comes up when they search for the differential fluid. One dealer gave me this number: 0019890312 and another dealer told me that this is the wrong number. Anyway, is 002-989-02-03-09 correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've used this ... Twice.
Thanks Wayne! Looks like you validated the differential fluid number. I would also be interested to find out the viscosity of the fluid. I think that this might be a direct replacement, but I need to do some more research: Castrol SYNTRAX Limited Slip 75W-140 Full Synthetic Gear Oil, 1 Liter

I have attached a photo of the two other parts I bought.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
The drain plug and crush washer look correct. I went through my documentation but have no spec on the oil other than the part number.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this post is for the rear end diff
But do you guys know the part number for the front differential fluid

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
hey
little on topic threadjack here

the point of this, is that on the Mazdaspeed3 manual box, 2-3 shifts were often sticky, and it was discovered that a fluid change, really made a noticeable improvement.
I grbbed this post quick, there are alot, some easyier reads.

Unicorn Blood/Jizzum Installed & my thoughts... - Mazdaspeed Forums

My question, Is there a similar situation with the 4MATIC ? some expensive juice that helps the box suck a bit less ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I want to definitely determine the correct part number for the rear differential fluid. I just returned from the dealer and bought 002-989-02-03-09. Can anyone confirm that this is the right part number? I called other dealers in the area and they really didn't seem to know for sure. Apparently a transmission fluid number comes up when they search for the differential fluid. One dealer gave me this number: 0019890312 and another dealer told me that this is the wrong number. Anyway, is 002-989-02-03-09 correct?

I just did the 30K service, and I have the same # on my paper too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm going to use Amsoil Severe Gear Lube 75/90. It was rated overall the best.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I will try to look it up tomorrow.

I have posted a new video of instructions for changing the rear differential fluid if you are interested.
This guy has been around forever, I've seen him quoted on multiple forums (to include a reefkeepers thread on acceptable lubricants)

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com

And a better link to the mazada tranny lube cure

Transmission Cured - Mazdaspeed Forums

the reason I bang on about it is that the **** runs high, and it was discovered that castrol made it for ford, in europe, but never chose to import it

then I found that the Saab dealer had the same stuff, different number, Waaay cheeper, another guy crossed a Jag juice, word got around etc

Perhaps the MB fluids have some generic marketing, or cobranding going on that can be a big savings for the group

sorry if I'm beating a totes Pferd

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it's the same oil with a different label then we should save some $$ I just hit 31k and think I'm due for a diff oil service but might wait until summer.

This guy has been around forever, I've seen him quoted on multiple forums (to include a reefkeepers thread on acceptable lubricants)

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com

And a better link to the mazada tranny lube cure

Transmission Cured - Mazdaspeed Forums

the reason I bang on about it is that the **** runs high, and it was discovered that castrol made it for ford, in europe, but never chose to import it

then I found that the Saab dealer had the same stuff, different number, Waaay cheeper, another guy crossed a Jag juice, word got around etc

Perhaps the MB fluids have some generic marketing, or cobranding going on that can be a big savings for the group

sorry if I'm beating a totes Pferd

1 - 20 of 23 Posts