Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have seen two, one at the weekend parked at the supermarket (miles away from the front door so that it didn't get damaged)... the second one passed me this morning on the school run... higher than the GLA, but when you see it next to a Cayenne it looks like it's shrunk in the wash... at least the GLA is original and has no 'big brother' to over shadow it...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm surprised that the GLA 45 AMG can beat the Macan Turbo. That is quite the feat. I bet that Porsche isn't very happy about that.

With a launch control-assisted start, the GLA45 AMG rockets to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds and finishes the quarter mile in a Porsche Macan Turbo-beating 12.8 seconds at 107.9 mph. The GLA45 also sticks with the Macan Turbo through the figure eight, zipping around in just 25 seconds at a 0.78 g average. Coming to a stop from 60 mph takes just 103 feet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have seen two, one at the weekend parked at the supermarket (miles away from the front door so that it didn't get damaged)... the second one passed me this morning on the school run... higher than the GLA, but when you see it next to a Cayenne it looks like it's shrunk in the wash... at least the GLA is original and has no 'big brother' to over shadow it...
although it does look like an A-class that ate its veggies ;)

There is one that just moved into my neighborhood, I won't call it pretty, its interesting, people like to say they drive a Porsche...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Macan looks fine, but it does look like a Cayenne with its rear end sliced off.

There will always be pros and cons when you try to follow the designs of the siblings and play it safe, or try to stand on your own and be unique, therefore unfamiliar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I looked at the Macan S before ordering my GLA45. Great car but I couldn't get past the Cayenne styling and the price with options.

I am really happy with the GLA45 and it is a real rocket with incredibly flat cornering.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you also get a chance to test drive the Macan and the Cayenne?
If the look and/or cost simply do not work, then no point of a test drive.

The fact the GLA45 performed as well as Macan Turbo can still be a good reason to cheer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If the look and/or cost simply do not work, then no point of a test drive.

The fact the GLA45 performed as well as Macan Turbo can still be a good reason to cheer.
Indeed, naturally though we know none of this matters. Although I would actually quite like to see the look on the yummy mummy's face when we enter her in the stop light grand prix inadvertently ;)

or perhaps the parking lot skid pad is a better metric?

>:D

I do like the 45's AWD though, do you know if it vectors as well?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have owned so many different AMG and Porsche models that it is a pleasure to say that I am finally driving an AMG that is a better driver's car than its Porsche counterpart. My experience with both cars tells me that the Macan turbo may have a slight edge in a straight line, but it still feels heavy and truckish compared to my GLA 45. If you have a fairly loaded 45, a comparably equipped Macan turbo would be at least $20k more and even though the Porsche's interior is higher standard, i can't get past the price differential. Spend another $2,500 on a Renntech piggy-back as I did on my CLA 45 and you will spank the Porsche.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the $2,500 tune is in the plan, I think it is a good idea to also order the driver's package.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed, and my car has it, but I think any 45 would benefit equally from the tune.
Of course. Although the $1,100 drivers package in the GLA45 is a good value compare to the similar pacakge in the CLA45 that costs almost $2,000.

Is the ride harsh? Did you get to compare the ride with and without the package?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think it is a good idea to also order the driver's package.
is that with the harder suspension? the roads around here are so bad that the standard set up w/ 20s is even a bit much, I'm using it in part for winter travel so the extra compliance will be needed . 18s are going on soon. Of course i'm coming from a gti and a toyota truck so this thing is light years ahead in terms of handling

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
is that with the harder suspension? the roads around here are so bad that the standard set up w/ 20s is even a bit much, I'm using it in part for winter travel so the extra compliance will be needed . 18s are going on soon. Of course i'm coming from a gti and a toyota truck so this thing is light years ahead in terms of handling
Why I asked Agingracefully how he would compare the standard suspension with his firmer suspension.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts