Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basics: She is my daily driver. A 2015 AMG with 45k miles. had the car for 2 years. performed A service and routine oil changes. No previous issues. I always drive in manual (paddles) and with the TCS off.

Issue: Couple of weeks ago (before Xmas) I was driving home from work putt-putting along on the freeway in rush hour traffic- barely got above 30mph and about 40 minutes into my hour commute the engine went into neutral and the words "4matic unavailable" popped up on the instrument cluster. I put on my hazards and coasted to the shoulder. cycled through the transmission options, Comfort and Sport, then back to manual all would not engage out of neutral. Shut the car off, removed key and opened and closed drivers door to completely shut off all components. started back up and now noticed the check engine light was illuminated but no messages displayed. out it back in manual and drove about 20 feet on the shoulder. felt confident enough to merge back into traffic, put on my left blinker, saw an opening and gave it gas then BAM!, it slipped back into neutral and now displayed something along the lines of "Do not change gear, consult workshop". Coasted back over to shoulder and shut car off in neutral. did not want to disobey the instruction of changing gear to park. This time I left the car off while I perused Google hoping to find an explanation to this. Found a couple of mentions from some fellas across the pond in the UK that experienced these messages after performing Race Starts. Never heard of this but after looking into what that was, was not what I was doing but perhaps the car was undergoing a similar issue. One thread mentioned pressing OK on the steering wheel. Started the car back up and the error "4Matic unavailable" was there. pressed "ok" and it went away just as mentioned in the thread. This time I left it in Comfort mode and merged back into traffic and made it home.
Hooked up my OBD2 scanner and the code was P060A. Searched online and more race start threads popped up. I called the Dealer and made an appt. I cleared the code and test drove it up and down my block- no issues. With the holidays, today was the soonest they can get me in. The car is there now. I hope to document the process and the issues for others who may have the same issue now that these cars are getting up there with the miles. I will say that I did drive the car to work a few more times after clearing the code - but only in Comfort and had no issues. Will report back once they tell me what they find out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You've done rear diff and front tranny fluid filter/diff, right? This I believe would have been long due with your miles. I did mine a few months back at around 20k just to make sure I was treating these components right.

I rarely use manual, 7 spd it just a chore with daily driving, I like sport. I can't imagine people owning say a 9 spd with manual paddles, I'd think that would be useless except at the track.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You've done rear diff and front tranny fluid filter/diff, right? This I believe would have been long due with your miles. I did mine a few months back at around 20k just to make sure I was treating these components right.

I rarely use manual, 7 spd it just a chore with daily driving, I like sport. I can't imagine people owning say a 9 spd with manual paddles, I'd think that would be useless except at the track.
I am in manual all the time. In city i barley goes over the 5 gear.

In a 9 speed transmission, the 3-4 last gear or for highway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, did you resolve this issue? Currently dealing with the same thing on my 2015 GLA250.
Basics: She is my daily driver. A 2015 AMG with 45k miles. had the car for 2 years. performed A service and routine oil changes. No previous issues. I always drive in manual (paddles) and with the TCS off.

Issue: Couple of weeks ago (before Xmas) I was driving home from work putt-putting along on the freeway in rush hour traffic- barely got above 30mph and about 40 minutes into my hour commute the engine went into neutral and the words "4matic unavailable" popped up on the instrument cluster. I put on my hazards and coasted to the shoulder. cycled through the transmission options, Comfort and Sport, then back to manual all would not engage out of neutral. Shut the car off, removed key and opened and closed drivers door to completely shut off all components. started back up and now noticed the check engine light was illuminated but no messages displayed. out it back in manual and drove about 20 feet on the shoulder. felt confident enough to merge back into traffic, put on my left blinker, saw an opening and gave it gas then BAM!, it slipped back into neutral and now displayed something along the lines of "Do not change gear, consult workshop". Coasted back over to shoulder and shut car off in neutral. did not want to disobey the instruction of changing gear to park. This time I left the car off while I perused Google hoping to find an explanation to this. Found a couple of mentions from some fellas across the pond in the UK that experienced these messages after performing Race Starts. Never heard of this but after looking into what that was, was not what I was doing but perhaps the car was undergoing a similar issue. One thread mentioned pressing OK on the steering wheel. Started the car back up and the error "4Matic unavailable" was there. pressed "ok" and it went away just as mentioned in the thread. This time I left it in Comfort mode and merged back into traffic and made it home.
Hooked up my OBD2 scanner and the code was P060A. Searched online and more race start threads popped up. I called the Dealer and made an appt. I cleared the code and test drove it up and down my block- no issues. With the holidays, today was the soonest they can get me in. The car is there now. I hope to document the process and the issues for others who may have the same issue now that these cars are getting up there with the miles. I will say that I did drive the car to work a few more times after clearing the code - but only in Comfort and had no issues. Will report back once they tell me what they find out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The same thing just happened to me. Literally almost killed us on the road because it happened on the highway. I am taking it to the dealer next Friday but it's the scariest thing that has ever happened to me in a car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, did you resolve this issue? Currently dealing with the same thing on my 2015 GLA250.

An update from me:

I received a call from Mercedes mechanic today that was appalling. He sent me some texts about replacing my front tires. Then called me to constantly repeat my car is out of warranty and that there's no recall on the car (even though there is a recall on the exact same issue for the last rendition of this model 2019).

I said: "something has to be done because its an apparent issue that many of us are experiencing, and this is the scariest thing i ever experienced in my life, I almost died!"

He said: "you almost died because of that bad tire on the front".

I lost it at that point. Couldn't believe after all the proof I showed him he was trying to find a random reason to make this a fault of mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update:

Okay, so the guy basically kept charging me for things unrelated to the actual issue, so yesterday I e-mailed the Mercedes CEO,

Received a call today and was connected to the executive referral team who ACTUALLY read everything, all of the complaints from the NHTSA, and are now appearing to handle this issue like i'm not making things up.

5 stars, Dimitris.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any update on what the problem was? I’m having a similar issue
No actually.

In fact, it has happened and returned to Mercedes dealership two times after they claimed they fixed it.

Claiming it was a bad sensor that had the computer thinking one wheel was going 65,000 miles an hour

As a software engineer, I can tell you that that is a bug/poor engineering. The computer in any car should not be allowed to think that it's tires are rotating a dozens of magnitudes above the speed of sound. Further, the tow truck that picked it up last week said that he had literally just picked up the same exact model car for doing the same thing. You see, there is a recall on the 2019 version, which is the last of this build, yet miraculously not on the years prior to it. You can read the USA recall reports and find about 30 complaints related to this issue for 2015 alone.

My experience with Mercedes has been the most disappointing I've ever had. I genuinely thought that I would have better service after leaving Honda and getting my first higher price tag car.

I'm at a loss and just trying to manage the energy I give to it so that I don't fall into a depression. I've been wanting to update my posts here consistently but because I'm just fighting my way out of a depression I didn't want to keep it in my mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No actually.

In fact, it has happened and returned to Mercedes dealership two times after they claimed they fixed it.

Claiming it was a bad sensor that had the computer thinking one wheel was going 65,000 miles an hour

As a software engineer, I can tell you that that is a bug/poor engineering. The computer in any car should not be allowed to think that it's tires are rotating a dozens of magnitudes above the speed of sound. Further, the tow truck that picked it up last week said that he had literally just picked up the same exact model car for doing the same thing. You see, there is a recall on the 2019 version, which is the last of this build, yet miraculously not on the years prior to it. You can read the USA recall reports and find about 30 complaints related to this issue for 2015 alone.

My experience with Mercedes has been the most disappointing I've ever had. I genuinely thought that I would have better service after leaving Honda and getting my first higher price tag car.

I'm at a loss and just trying to manage the energy I give to it so that I don't fall into a depression. I've been wanting to update my posts here consistently but because I'm just fighting my way out of a depression I didn't want to keep it in my mind.
Thank you for responding. I took mine in and they replaced the transmission thinking that would fix the problem. However, the day after I picked it up(yesterday)the same errors were popping up shifting my car into neutral while driving. The brakes were acting strange as well and steering became very hard. Luckily I was still in the neighborhood but could be very bad if it were to happen at a high speed. The car is currently back at Mercedes as of yesterday after they had it for a month already. So we will see what they say this time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for responding. I took mine in and they replaced the transmission thinking that would fix the problem. However, the day after I picked it up(yesterday)the same errors were popping up shifting my car into neutral while driving. The brakes were acting strange as well and steering became very hard. Luckily I was still in the neighborhood but could be very bad if it were to happen at a high speed. The car is currently back at Mercedes as of yesterday after they had it for a month already. So we will see what they say this time.
Right. They have had the car in service 3 times now. Charging me thousands of dollars, and never fixing the issue.

I am going to e-mail the Mercedes CEO again and hopefully something is done. I highly suggest you join me in doing so!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Right. They have had the car in service 3 times now. Charging me thousands of dollars, and never fixing the issue.

I am going to e-mail the Mercedes CEO again and hopefully something is done. I highly suggest you join me in doing so!
Yes I absolutely will! This is a big problem especially since they don’t seem to know the issue. When I picked it up they told me “we hope it’s fixed now” after replacing the transmission. And sure enough wasn’t fixed. So much uncertainty surrounding the issue. Scary.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah so they've had my car two weeks now because it did it again, and this time even scarier because there was no warning at all. Haven't been contacted by them yet.

I hope you've been able to make progress, @allie618

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had my car back about two weeks now. They claimed it was the wheel speed sensor and replaced that and so far it hasn’t done it again...however I am skeptical since they told you it was that as well and your car did the same thing again after they replaced it. How soon after them replacing your sensor did the car do it again? @maiko

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had my car back about two weeks now. They claimed it was the wheel speed sensor and replaced that and so far it hasn’t done it again...however I am skeptical since they told you it was that as well and your car did the same thing again after they replaced it. How soon after them replacing your sensor did the car do it again? @maiko
it was about 3 weeks. that's the same thing they said to me, however, i do not understand why they would allow a wheel speed sensor issue like this to make the car behave so dangerously.

·
Registered
9 Posts
it was about 3 weeks. that's the same thing they said to me, however, i do not understand why they would allow a wheel speed sensor issue like this to make the car behave so dangerously.
I know it’s crazy. Seems like the car would be wired to alert the driver in a much safer way. So scary and dangerous. Let me know what they end up saying when you get it back this time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts