Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, need any help possible trying to identify this noise. It only happens on idle, and also engine is sputtering a little bit. Plugs and coils are brand new so the sputtering can't be from that. Any ideas?

Here's the link to the video: New video

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell from that, but it sounds just like exhaust noise. Also a slight hint of valve problems. Perhaps a vid from under the hood?
You actually cant hear it under the hood, but you can hear a little but on the passenger wheel side. I don't think it's a valve problem at all, far from it. It only makes this noise on idle, no other RPM. I watched some similar videos and some people say it's the crankshaft seal that's coming loose because of pressure / too much oil and it's rubbing on the crank pulley. some say its PCV, some say it's the water pump pulley going out, and some say the turbo spring needs to be re-tightened.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When did the noise start? Did it start immediately after the plugs and coils were replaced? If so, is the engine cover fully installed? Double check all connections and bolts that were touched in the process. It almost sounds like someone forgot to attach a bracket back to its foundation and the part is rattling against the engine or body.

If you haven't already done so, try removing everything from the glove box and see if the noise is still there. Also check to ensure that the cabin air filter cover is fully installed. Also check the aux battery cover (directly below the cabin air filter cover) and make sure that is properly installed as well.

Hope you can find the problem and it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup I checked everything, it's not coming from the interior at all, it's coming from the pulley side of the engine, you can hear it a little when you listen to the passenger wheel. It's intermittent, when the engine is cold, no noise. When it's fully warmed up, the noise is only there when idling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine did that a while back. It may be the swelling of the crank seal. Does the noise go away when you open the oil filler cap?

Reactions: Wayne
1 - 9 of 9 Posts