Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts

Results | International Engine of the Year 2015

1.8-Litre to 2-Litre Mercedes-AMG 2-litre turbo

Another year and another stunning victory for the Mercedes-AMG 2-litre turbocharged in-line four powerplant.

The engine, which belongs to Mercedes’ BlueDirect family, last year swept the New Engine category and became the first pure performance-bred offering to win the 1.8-litre to 2-litre class in almost a decade.

Repeating its feat this year in the latter grouping, the screaming AMG pocket rocket again amassed many points for delivering on the performance front but also for its green credentials. Jury member Natan Tezelaar, a freelance journalist from the Netherlands, said, “The AMG 2-litre turbo is simply the best four cylinder at the moment. If the driver can withstand the huge temptation to floor it, very impressive fuel consumption is possible.”

In addition to the A-Class hot hatch, the raised GLA hatch and CLA sedan, the winning AMG motor is now also housed in the CLA 45 AMG Shooting Brake. Here, the world’s most powerful four-cylinder development generates 181ps per litre of displacement, propelling the car to 100km/h (62mph) in just 4.7 seconds. But ticking that green box at the same time – a must for the family tourer market – the compact Shooting Brake is claimed to consume 6.9 l/100km (40.9mpg).

This impressive combination of performance and economy is realized through a mixture of innovations including AMG’s twin-scroll turbo technology, maximum dethrottling of the exhaust system and a new injection strategy that provides an instantaneous build-up of charge pressure and swift generation of high torque from low revs.

Such high-end measures enabled the fizzing, popping AMG creation to see off some talented rivals in the shape of Audi’s 2-litre TFSI unit, BMW’s twin turbo diesel and Volvo’s new turbo and supercharged motor in the XC90.

Jury member Gary Tsang from China summed up the engine’s appeal: “This 2-litre Mercedes-AMG ticks all the right boxes: powerful, efficient, compact and politically correct.”

·
Registered
816 Posts
Tis an amazing engine… and will become more potent next MY.

I remember 100 hp / L was rarified territory reserved for race cars and now you have a 177 hp / L and going up :laugh:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Germans are taking over.

BMW just took an engine award for an I6 engine which I believe goes in its BMW 4 Series.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts