Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has taken their GLA45 AMG on the track, autocross or any other similar driving event? For those who did, how did it perform? I'm curious to give it a try at the New York Safety Track in upstate NY.

·
Super Moderator
1,505 Posts
Many videos on YouTube. I haven't timed Pam's GLA vs my 997.2, but I have to believe they are equally matched.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a date at the Nürburgring 7-9 June. The racing season is starting and I will be there. I will definitely keep you updated.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't, but I'd like to. I hear there is a track in Buttonwillow CA that is good for "newbies" to take classes at. Unlike the two tracks local here are known for being challenging.

Probably never happen, but a guy can dream. Maybe when the kids are a bit older (how often is that phrase uttered....)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, Kado, what have you done to yours?
I've just got the updated tune from THT Performance. That is typically the only thing that is going to change with the 2020 45s models. I work with a few performance guys here in Stuttgart, Germany (Mercedes Home). They have been talking about this for awhile. You can get to 415 HP to the crank with just tune. Anything above that you are upgrading parts.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Any reaosnable way to estimate crank HP? The only way I can imagine is to dyno test a stock car and calculate the % loss vs the claimed 375, then use that differential to correct after you get the tune. I don't know if there's a better way. My understanding is that the 4matic is pretty lossy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can just image 415 HP in my GLA. One day!

I've just got the updated tune from THT Performance. That is typically the only thing that is going to change with the 2020 45s models. I work with a few performance guys here in Stuttgart, Germany (Mercedes Home). They have been talking about this for awhile. You can get to 415 HP to the crank with just tune. Anything above that you are upgrading parts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw this on Renntech's site:

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/index.php/crank-wheel-hp

Drivetrain Loss

The drivetrain loss is the power lost between the engine and the wheels. The drivetrain includes parts such as the transmission, torque converter, driveshaft, differential, axle, etc. Different vehicles have dramatically different components used to get the power to the ground. For example, one car with a particular engine may get a different transmission halfway through the model production run. Therefore, the drivetrain loss can vary dramatically between cars. Sport cars with rear-wheel drive have a more efficient drivetrain than all-wheel drive off-road vehicles. Based on our experience through our 28+ years in the industry and measurements from a huge variety of cars we have developed a system to calculate crank horse-power numbers based on a known drivetrain loss.

12% - Rear-Wheel Drive Sportscars
14% - Rear-Wheel Drive Cars
14% - All-Wheel Drive Cars equipped with 4MATIC+
17% - All-Wheel Drive Cars equipped with 4MATIC
18% - SUV’s equipped with 4MATIC
20% - Off-Road vehicles equipped with 4MATIC

Not sure if where we fall in the 14%-18% comparison

Any reaosnable way to estimate crank HP? The only way I can imagine is to dyno test a stock car and calculate the % loss vs the claimed 375, then use that differential to correct after you get the tune. I don't know if there's a better way. My understanding is that the 4matic is pretty lossy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am assuming when I had my dyno numbers done a similar calculation was completed. I have the dyno sheet posted in another forum with pull before tune and pull after tune.

·
Registered
191 Posts

I'm race my GLA on ice every winter
Awesome!! I really want to try that sometime. There is a lake around 45 minutes from me where ice racing happens most winter weekends. Are you running bare rubber? Dedicated snow tires, I assume?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just curious if anyone has taken their GLA45 AMG on the track, autocross or any other similar driving event? For those who did, how did it perform? I'm curious to give it a try at the New York Safety Track in upstate NY.
I am from NYC and I have been HPDE the GLA45 for couple of years at NJMP and Glen. I just went there just last week. Make sure you bring new pads since I pretty much use a set of pads per day. Oem tire will not last for two days.

https://youtu.be/7Vby9coH2-c

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the tips. Good to see a fellow NY area GLA45 owner. I don't see any of them in Queens.

I am from NYC and I have been HPDE the GLA45 for couple of years at NJMP and Glen. I just went there just last week. Make sure you bring new pads since I pretty much use a set of pads per day. Oem tire will not last for two days.

https://youtu.be/7Vby9coH2-c

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently bought a gla 45 as a daily driver. I race competitively, vintage with my 2002, endurance & SCCA with my E30 and E21. Also own a 997.1 GT3 that is still streetable (barely). A fun track/race car to me is RWD and manual! That said.....I had the 45 on the track for a couple sessions and it's a blast. Pretty well balanced.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts