Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
I had my B about a month ago. At least for the GLA250, the only additional B fluid change is brake fluid. The main difference between A and B is the brake fluid change, which adds a lot of labor. There was $21 for fuel additive and $72.80 for the cabin air filter. The same 'checks' and 'visual inspections' that happened at the A seemed to happen at the 'B.' My dealer gets $148 an hour for service. The B service total was $554, about twice as much as the A. Tire rotation was done, not balancing. I chose not to have the keyfob batteries changed, as I do it myself with little bit bigger battery from BJ's, and I chose not to have the high tech winter additive in the windshield washer-I go through a lot of WW fluid. Also, I bought new wiper blades on line just before winter set in, from another MB dealer for $30, delivered. I presume those three items would have taken it well over $600. While I certainly appreciate having free warranty work done, and getting a loaner, for the other stuff I am oft reminded of the old phrase, never give a sucker an even break. In their defense, they charged only $41.93 for 7 quarts of synthetic oil, and only $19.14 for the oil filter element. I guess service at most any high end auto dealer would be the same. Someone has to pay for the biscotti and espresso.

·
600 Posts
There is another good reason for having a dealer to do a service is if there is a service campaign on the vehicle they will do it and there is no charge. A service campaign is a non safety recall, you will not receive any notice of it unless you going in for service or repair. Sometime it make be a firmware update. "Fbsdmd" I too will say no to the dealer when they start suggesting to do extra work that I can do myself. Why pay for a flop battery change $10 when you can do it your self for $2. By the way my dealer does a free 4 wheel alignment check when you take it iThey give you a print out of the check.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I must say that over many years I have rarely gotten something done for free at the dealer. However, they did add bagels and donuts to the biscotti. I guess I keep going back because there is the potential for getting something from the dealer that you can't get elsewhere. Actually, you are absolutely right about the firmware thing. So much happens in your car that is computer related, and most independents don't have access to the latest firmware/updates, it makes sense to have the dealer take a look, and if you are a customer, they will be more apt to help you sometime when you need it. As for the keyfob battery change, the original battery is a 2025, and the battery I use is a 2032. The only difference between the two is thickness. The 2032, being thicker, has a larger capacity/ longer life. It is a little tighter installation, but not terrible. The original battery for my main keyfob lasted about 7 months. The 2032 I replaced it with was still ok after a year, and I replaced it just because, at less than $2 a battery, why wait? I buy them at BJ's 6 for about $10.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts