Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering this vehicle (the 2022), having test driven the 2021 and been very impressed with just about every aspect of it. I own an older Mercedes and am naturally concerned about the reliability of these newer vehicles and their excessive repair costs. I tend to keep cars long term. Last vehicle, disposed of in 2020, was an Avalon I owned since 1997. I might potentially bite given the availability of an additional 3 years on the warranty. I will almost certainly have about 50,000 miles on the vehicle at the expiration of the extended 7 year period (drive about 6000 miles/year typically). I am seeing differing costs for the GLA250's extended warranty, can someone tell me what was actually paid for the 3 year extension? The warranty is indicated as "limited," what does this mean? Items are listed, but what is not indicated is what is NOT covered, what would these be? Also, what kind of numbers for the prepaid service, I prefer to do my own and would also be curious about the impact of this on the extended warranty. I have a salesman to speak to, but would like some insight/opinions from present owners. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
You pretty much have to check with the dealer for the price of the warranty. It "should" cover the same has the original warranty (at least for us in Canada).

For me, i have a 45 AMG, it was like 3500$ for only 1 year... not worth it at all !

·
Super Moderator
947 Posts
The new MB cars come with a four-year, 50k miles warranty. You can wait until the near end of the warranty before deciding to buy the extended three years. Then, if the car is a problem car, you either trade it or buy the warranty. If problem-free and you feel that there is no foreseeable problem, you pass on getting the extended warranty three and a half years later.

Service contract if you have a dealer to do the service can be good. If doing the maintenance as a DIY or using an indy, you could save some money. Keep in mind to be covered by a warranty. You will need to show proof that the required maintenance was completed.

Here is something to think about if you are getting a loan and adding the warranty and service contract cost to the loan. That will be an added expense as you will be paying interest on the cost of both of these for the life of the loan.

Warranty is a profit for the warranty company, so the odds are not in your favor. However, what it does buy is peace of mind, so how much are you willing to pay for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as extended warranty, can it be purchased now and then refunded at end of year 4 or anytime before the base expires? I ask because it may very well be much higher cost in 4 years. I will be paying cash for both, so the complication introduced by a loan is not relevant. Yes, peace of mind is what I am purchasing, I have strong reservations purchasing a MB given personal experience and, well, common sense. I am looking at the Mazda Signature CX-5 as a potential alternative (though not test driven yet) and reliability is a non issue, but I may end up liking the MB more. The costs I am seeing online for the warranty at this dealer are very acceptable to me. But I am not going to contact the salesman until after I test drive the Mazda, which I may not get to for a couple of months.

Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty Pricing
5 yrs/75k5yrs/100k6yrs/75k6yrs/100k7yrs/75k7yrs/100k
Tier 0 | Electric$2,150$2,600$2,350$2,850$2,650$3,600
Tier 1 | A, GLB, CLA, GLA, C-Class, GLK, SLK$2,250$2,750$2,450$3,000$2,750$3,750
Tier 2 | E-Class, M-Class, GL-CLass$2,450$3,000$2,650$3,250$2,950$4,000
Tier 3 | S-Class, SL-Class, CLS, Diesel, R-Class$2,950$3,600$3,450$4,100$4,250$5,000
Tier 4 | CL-Class, G-Class, AMG®$4,250$5,000$5,950$6,350$6,950$7,350

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought my GLA250 today and confirmed the above extended warranty schedule costs are accurate and current. The finance guy suggested purchasing it up front and can be refunded at any time prior to the start of the extended period for a full refund or during the extended period for a pro-rated refund. If not purchased up front at time of delivery, there is a 15% additional charge for purchasing at a later date and the current cost (most certainly higher) would be applicable. The extended warranty would be fully transferable to a private party (not a dealer or re-sale agent) or I could just get a pro-rated refund and sell the vehicle with no extended warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts