Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started having this weird issue where while driving the display would go off, and then come back on. And it would just keep doing this.

To make matters worst, after a while, its not just the screen flickering, it also started disconnecting bluethooth phone connection interrupting my calls, the radio goes off and back on, and couple of times when I switched to the rear gear, the backup camera feed would not come up (display just stays blank).

Here's an example video: New video by Dmitri Olchevski

The car is in the service right now, and after a couple of days of troubleshoitng they still cant find the root cause.

Anyone else had this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, my NAV started cutting out over bumps - that was a bad harness at the module. Fixed that, but then screen cut out just like yours - found several shorts in the harness where wires were rubbed raw and grounding out. Always when the car got jostled a bit harder than I'd like

·
Super Moderator
1,665 Posts
Intermittent electronics are almost always associated with poor voltage or bad connections. In the case of shorting unwanted connections.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My car has done that, but only when auto stop/start engages. Battery test confirmed the obvious. Time for a new mains battery. Even though the car cranks hard and well. Is there any behavior with your issue that would make sense with regards to a battery at the end of life? Mine needed replacing at ~ 2 years. Seems the 45 is hard on batteries (seems hard to me)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did have an issue like this with my stereo once, but it was a bad ACC connection, which caused the amps to drop out. My fault, and easily fixed.

Other possibility if you have a similar situation with the OEM harness is a cold joint somewhere, exacerbated by a cold car. is it worse when the car is first started, then as the car warms up it kind goes away or gets "better"? might be a bad harness connection as suggested.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
There is truth to what our colleague Wayne often points out, the sensitivity of MB systems to battery quirks. My GLA was also cranking fine, most everything working as designed, but I've had a persistent problem with the Eco Start/Stop since soon after delivery. The auxiliary battery was replaced multiple times, the system code and firmware re-flashed often, but the problem persisted. I went in for service five days before the warranty expired on my 2016 250, the main battery tested with probable failure coming, so it was replaced under warranty. I have to tip my hat to our MB dealer for that one, so close to end-of-warranty. Also because since then the Eco Start/Stop has worked beautifully, now three months later...knock on wood. Sometimes you win small little victories.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts