Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

GLA X156/H247 (GLB) - OWNERS HONEST FEEDBACK NEEDED ?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  OZGLA 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

X156 : I would really appreciate if someone could tell me honestly (if you daily drive gently ofcourse) if this car is reliable ?
I am not asking fans, but more someone that is not a mercedes fan but do own one or did own one and had some bad or good experience with it!

I drove one like this one just don't remember which engine I had during my test drive (and ofcourse if there is a more reliable engine than some others also please tell me).

I can buy the previous version (x156).. or get the new one (h247) a long term rental fully-insured with no initial deposit for about $645/month during 60 month. The problem is, if I go with the long term rental, for +$90 per month more I can get also a fully-insured on 60 month GLB (which looks weird but is spacious). I would like to know if ex GLA owners will be the new GLB potential customers ?

Thanks a lot for all those who will take the time to reply to me =)
I appreciate

#2 ·
I have taken my GLA and SLK in for service at the dealer and each time got a GLB as a loaner. My wife and I both agree we like the GLA over the GLB. DO not find the ride be any different. We like the style of the GLA and do not need the extra space. In two years when our 3-year lease ends at this time will get another GLA.

You do not show what country you are in so can not speak about the engine you might have test drove. I have the 250 which is a 4 cylinder. The performance I find is great for a daily driver and gas milage for 10k average is 26.5mpg, 60% city 40% highway. It has been 100% trouble-free. In the US we only have the 250 or AMG43. The AMG has a high owner cost in maintenance.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: LeoLeo
#3 ·
We only have 30K miles on our 2017 GLA45 so I wouldn't say we have a lot of experience. We've had no problems at all in that time other than a blown tire ... Not the car's fault!!!

I've mentioned this before ... Take your luggage with you for your test drive. Then decide if you need something bigger. If you're OK with the space then I'd have no problem telling you to go with the GLA.

Problems? There have been reports of transmission shaft failures up to early 2016 that causes grinding going into reverse. Water pumps and PVC ... Positive crankcase ventilation valve or, if you prefer, AOS ... Air oil separator have both come up on this Forum a few times. Some people have had trouble with the sun roof track. And, of course, there have been interface problems with AA and Carplay which is standard fare.

But none of the above appear to be endemic.

Good luck with your search.

#4 ·
I recently purchased a 2019 GLA45 and the main reason was, based on this forum and others, the reliability this platform has. I'm also a car person with a lot of experience doing my own maintenance and modifications so will eliminate most of the higher than normal service costs of owning this vehicle. The basics of the engine/drivetrain platform are mature and it seems the kinks have been worked out and those kinks seemed minor to begin with. Certainly far fewer new platform issues I saw when looking at alternatives. I'm looking forward to many years of reliable and fun transportation. I'm also coming from an Infiniti EX series, which is their smallest, and had plenty of space for daily use. While it looks smaller, dimensionally the GLA is about the same so I'm happy with interior space.

#6 ·
I have owned GLA250 X156 and really enjoyed it but found it was a little wanting for space. Just bought a new GLA250 H247 and am truly impressed. More room in the rear, new tech, reasonable looks, fun and better to drive. Prefer it to the slightly vanilla GLC250 I had between the GLAs though I miss the C-class feeling of luxury. Good luck with your decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.