Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a 2016 Gla250 4Matic and I was looking to switch out the rotors and break pads for slotted sport rotors. Any tips on specific brands that last longer and perform better than others? If so pls drop the link I’m looking to purchase ASAP

·
Registered
261 Posts
granted, my information comes from a guy who likes to track his car, but his strategy is a little different:

Pick any old rotor, so long as the quality is "good enough" that the rotor won't crack under use conditions. this is the place to cheap out. Then run excellent pads, spare no expense. In his case, the pads tend to eat up the rotors. No matter. Replace them with the pads, and they were "cheap" anyways.

This part is personal preference, but he feels that slotted or drilled can be felt, and detracts from performance. I am not convinced, but it's debated among amateur track racers.

---------

Since you have a 250 and not a 45, it's a little moot, but the suggestion here is that you don't need the expense of a drilled or slotted rotor. If you want to pay extra for it for looks, then more power to ya, enjoy! But personally, I like much better, the plan to buy cheap but functional, planning to replace the rotor with every set of brake pads.

As for pads, I can't help because I'm not looking for dust free or gentle-on-rotor pads, I want barely-streetable pads that would be useless on a 250 anyways. But I'll bet there are more options out there for a "pretty good" low dust brake pad than there are for a "barely streetable" semi metallic.

So good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
That's great information.

Drilled or slotted rotors theoretically help air flow through the middle of the rotor to help it cool. But testing indicates any value toward cooler temps using these rotors is marginal at best.

To make matters bad, the holes give edges that can crack.

And the reduced material ends up reducing thermal mass.

Yeah, we're splitting hairs here ... Which is the point.

As for maintenance, a drilled or slotted rotor can't be turned to renew the surface (the cutting tool bounces at the holes or slots).

So you're paying for appearances rather than actual performance (well, you do reduce unsprung weight when you remove material!!!).

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
I've been sucked into the drilled/slotted aftermarket hype myself (good science on paper, but ...), however these days I too go the more thermal mass rotor route (and less expensive) with high quality pads.

Drilled rotors are also more prone to Break which you don't want in a Brake (see what I did there?). ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
AutoZone sells Brembo pads now, and are the mfg of the house brand, I am told.

Now a days, most aftermarket pads are good. Wagner TQ, Powerstop (Centric) Posiquiet, Forodo or the very nice EBC Ultimax 2.

Pep Boys have a wide selection of brands and do the install cheap, if that appeals to anyone. Their house pads are Raybestos, fine for rears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I replaced my front rotors with these - For Mercedes C117 X117 X156 Set Pair of 2 Front Drilled Discs Brake Rotors Meyle
Perfect fit. Power Stop Sport Ceramic pads.
Rears are being done next month with Brembo "dimpled" and same pads

·
601 Posts
On My MB SLK's I have used ceramic pads when changing. Ceramic pads are almost 99% dust-free. What little dust they create takes very long time to show up. I have had good results from Akebono ceramic pads on the SLK.

Reactions: Rothbury
1 - 11 of 11 Posts