Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own an E350 and want a more practical vehicle. I have driven Mercedes Benz and BMWs for 30+ years. Tell me why I should choose the GLA over the Audi Q3 or BMW X1. My husband has a GLK for his daily driver as well as a BMW M3 roadster.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Personally speaking I had planned to buy the Q3. There is a lot to like in that vehicle. In fact, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. For me I fell in love with the styling and how it drove. It felt better to me than the Q3 in the corners. That's pretty subjective however.

That said, I had an E500 and absolutely loved that car. It was a great car for my family. On the 1st of Jan I traded it for my GLA. In the end the GLA was the most practical car for my kids and I (and my dog) for daily commuting.

Good luck in your search.

SOLD: '99 ML320 | '01 C320 SPORT | '02 ML320 | '05 E500
'15 GLA250 - SPORT, PREMIUM, MULTIMEDIA, PANORAMA, BI-XENON

·
Registered
25 Posts
GLA: stylish, agile, powerful and smooth. Luxury & fun interior. But expensive (it's a Benz)
Q3: I think it has outdated & boring exterior. Less powerful engine (you never know when you need it). Interior also boring except the rising screen.
X1: Going to renew soon (few months). I think the front is ugly. Fair fuel economy (in real life). Interior is simple elegant but no excitement. Driving position same as saloon.

But your husband has a GLK, may be you can wait for a while to see the new X1.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Q3, while new to the US this year, has been out in other markets for several years and will be significantly updated for 2016.

A co-worker who has an X1 complains that the start/stop feature is annoyingly slow to start. I've read similar accounts elsewhere, whereas the GLA's start/stop is widely perceived as being more refined.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Like Humble Pie, I had planned to buy a Q3. Fortunately the dealership also had a GLA when I went to test drive Q3. There was just no excitement to the Q3 for me. It is so close to a VW Tiguan that I might as well have bought the Tiguan and saved the money. GLA is more refined with better fit and finish.

Yes, I did pay more for the GLA. I was eligible for a supplier discount from Audi/VW that would have saved me an additional 6% over what I could have negotiated with the dealer. The GLA was worth that premium to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input everyone! I am leaning toward the GLA at the moment. Its design is more appealing than the Audi or the BMW. And I love the look of the sport seats with the integrated headrest! Actually I eliminated the BMW because I know it will be completely new and I do not want a new "old" style vehicle--hope that makes sense. I have driven the GLA twice and my one complaint is noise. There seems to be much more wind noise than my E350. I haven't driven the Audi yet. My closest dealer will be getting some in next week so I hope to give it a try then. And I didn't realize the Audi will be getting a new look--thanks for the info.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Granted, coming to a GLA owners forum and asking if you should buy a GLA is going to produce some pretty biased answers :)

That being said I was in the same boat on the Q3 - Liked the look, the interior, and the standard features but I was so disappointed by the sluggishness and lack of power that even my Audi partner discount (about 9-10%) didn't make it worth it. But, that might not be as important to you as it was to me.

Even the X1 was on that list; we had just purchased a 235 (our 2nd purchase from the same dealer in 4 years) and were offered an AMAZING lease rate on a 2015 X1 at the end of the year. It was the opposite of the Q3 for me - lots of power but incredibly boring.

The GLA fills a good niche; it offers compact SUV ground clearance without looking like a compact SUV, and it offers wagon functionality without looking like a wagon. I heard someone call it a "Sport Wagon" and I'd have to agree with that term.

The noise I think is the difference between a $35K GLA and a $45K GLK (which is likely next for me when this lease is up).

Regardless, good luck in your search. New cars keep getting better and test drives are always a good time.

Added bonus, Boris is a great guinea pig for mods that you may be considering down the line :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
A co-worker who has an X1 complains that the start/stop feature is annoyingly slow to start. I've read similar accounts elsewhere, whereas the GLA's start/stop is widely perceived as being more refined.
The BMW start-stop is awful. I coded my car to have it disabled unless you intentionally select Eco Pro (and who in their right mind would do that).

Good effort, but until you have an electric motor permanently attached to the flywheel (KERS, anyone?) that process is always going to be rough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I test drove the GLA, Lexus NX and BMW X1. Of the 3, I quickly deleted the X1. It just didn't feel soundly built. I have had an Audi Q7 and it was a lovely car. But it needed brakes at the tune of 1000.00 every 6 months. They admitted they put sport brakes on a car way too heavy for that and yet never recalled or covered the brakes. So...The Audi Q3 is nice and you get a lot of car for the money. But I LOVE the zippy feel of the GLA that I went with along with the solid feel of the car. The NX was too gimmicky and plastic as well. Good luck in your search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts