Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change all interior light bulbs to a white LED theme. I posted a query of specs on the MBUSA Customer Support, but all I got back is go to the dealership to get them. They refuse to give out the details.

I would like to know the replacement bulb types for front reading (including the lights that shine down from the mirror), rear interior, foot well, door, cargo areas. The respective Bulb type (usually B-Type, T-Type), bulb code (a 3 or 4 digit numeric code)...etc. Can anyone help me ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also wanting to make this change, and would also like any instructions for how to switch the bulbs. I have a 2018 GLA 250.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
70 Posts
I don't know how similar the interior lighting is between the 2018 and 2015, but I'll tell you everything I did in case it helps! Also, I was looking to change colors too, so I am probably telling you more than you want/need to know here.

I replaced everything replaceable in my 2015 GLA (with Pano sunroof and compass/garage door mirror, those details change where and what the lights are, I think). I really like the amber ambient lighting so I took it further by going with these amber bulbs in the footwells and in the rear reading lights (not so sure I like those so very orange for rear reading lights). I then replaced the vanity mirror lights and the glove box light and the cargo area light with these super bright white LEDs for when I need bright task lighting and a warm orange glow won't do.

The lights which shine down from the sunroof controls are LEDs soldered to a circuit board (yes, that's a photo of mine and the tiny bubble is one of the LEDs). I would not suggest messing with them. But, they are LEDs already, so if you're just looking for LED everywhere you already have it there. Ditto on the lights in the Homelink mirror. I covered those with the sticky stuff you get to cover turn signals in order to get the amber-glow that I like.

I had no problem at all with any error codes and the bulbs all work great. Changing them in all locations except for the rear domes is super easy. Just figure out which side the bulb wiring comes in from (looking at the light when it is lit up helps make it obvious). Then, push the plastic cover over in that direction and pop it out on the other side with a trim removal tool. Replace the bulb and remember that LEDs are polarity-specific so if the bulb doesn't light up when you put it in, just take it out and flip it around to get the polarity right.

Changing the rear domes is a little trickier because you have to remove the grab handle bracket. I followed this post by Spyder918, which provided great instructions and photos but I ended up breaking off a little piece of trim when doing that (but you never see it unless the handle is down and then my passengers are probably too worried about how I'm cornering to care about a missing piece of trim!).

I hope this helps. It's a fun and cheap way to get a look and feel that's exactly the lighting and brightness you want. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts