Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!!

Hope everyone is doing great and enjoying their GLA. I am waiting on mine!

However, I was wondering about 2 things;
1. How does the car handle in rain.2
2. For some reason the Wipers have never worked out; whatever car; no matter what Wiper blade I buy; it has left streaks on the windshield; how do your GLA wipers work?

Thanks
-A

·
Registered
470 Posts
I haven't tried mine but in general, have you tried applying Rain X on your windshield?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Handling should be fine as the 4Matic does help to keep the car on the road pretty well. Drove through quite a few heavy thunderstorms (its normal here in Singapore) and there isn't much issue. I would worry more of the condition of the threads on the tires.

The wipers did their job as they should, no issue.

As for Rain-X, I would never use them because I think the chemical compound in it causing wiper juddering. I had that on one of my previous cars and no matter what I did, ie: change wiper blades, clean the windscreen properly with those special windscreen cleaner liquids and flushed the wiper tank, I could never get rid of the wiper judder after using Rain-X.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As for Rain-X, I would never use them because I think the chemical compound in it causing wiper juddering. I had that on one of my previous cars and no matter what I did, ie: change wiper blades, clean the windscreen properly with those special windscreen cleaner liquids and flushed the wiper tank, I could never get rid of the wiper judder after using Rain-X.
That is weird as that is kind of the opposite of RainX's purpose. Are you 100% sure it is the RainX?

IN any regards, have you try removing it with vinegar? I heard that actually works (used on both the wiper and windshield).

·
Registered
355 Posts
That is weird as that is kind of the opposite of RainX's purpose. Are you 100% sure it is the RainX?

IN any regards, have you try removing it with vinegar? I heard that actually works (used on both the wiper and windshield).
Yeah... 100000% sure it is Rain-X! :)

In the end, no more Rain-X, not for me that is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'll that is the rain-x part !! But how efficient are the wipers? For some reason I have had bad luck!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wiper-wise, they seem fine. My car is set to automatically swipe it when I turn on the car and it detects some moist in the windshield and it works well.

In your case though, I don't know what to suggest if you've tried numerous brands and all has left you unsatisfied. I don't think I've ever had a bad wiper experience from a new car or new blade.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Applying rain-x on your windshield along with your wipers will go a long way in insuring you get the best out of them.

Also cleaning your wipers with a rag and spray of windex is a good practice to do every so often.

·
Registered
355 Posts
However, I have to admit that the wiper strength is a bit lacking when in a torrential heavy thunderstorm. It doesn't seem to move the water away quickly enough.

We do get these thunderstorms at the tail end of Nov, all the way through to Feb here in tropical Singapore and I have experienced quite a few times, where visibility was down to 5m and the wipers were trying their best to move the deluge of rain coming down.

But I guess that other models/marques would face this same issue too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is my first vehicle where the intermittent wipers work well. The blades clear well and more surface area than any of my Nissan or Infiniti's did. I do not have a right curved triangle patch by the passenger blade that is missed like other vehicles. The oem blades are not the quietest but they do the job well. Now anything over a gentle shower can be too much for them. The rear blade works well but I wish it was intermittent but I can easily flick it on and off.

Wet weather traction is largely dependent on tires. The factory OEMs do not channel well and hydroplane easily. Had to go through nearly a foot of water when we had our storms earlier this month and the benz did very well without issue. I'm pleased but this is a light suv so it will perform like a car in foul weather (light = hydroplane and slide). I plan on putting some new rubber on it for next winter. The Continental Extreme DWS are great on my other rides.

Wipers and function = A (no plus since the rear is not intermittent enough)
Wet weather tire grip/traction = C
Wet weather AWD = A (the system handled individual wheel slip well)

I have piaa blades ordered :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Better (imo) than rainex main product, is their wiper fluid. It has just enough rainex in the formula to keep the screen beading up nicely. try it, its worth the extra dollar or two a gallon

·
Registered
470 Posts
What do you guys think about applying Rain X on the panoramic moon roof? Wiped judder should be no problem and the water will just run-off it keeping it cleaner for longer?

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I tried Rain-X up there. Can't see that it makes much difference in cleanliness. And since I don't drive around looking up through the sun roof, don't really notice how well it sheds rain :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
And since I don't drive around looking up through the sun roof, don't really notice how well it sheds rain :)

You don't? That's how I mainly drive! lol

I just ask because I almost never put the interior shade on and I guess I am a bit ocd when I see water marks when I look up, just wanted it to all bead off. hehe

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey folks!!

Hope everyone is doing great and enjoying their GLA. I am waiting on mine!

However, I was wondering about 2 things;
1. How does the car handle in rain.2
2. For some reason the Wipers have never worked out; whatever car; no matter what Wiper blade I buy; it has left streaks on the windshield; how do your GLA wipers work?

Thanks
-A
1. It's been raining all week here in Melbourne, I've got 4Matic on my GLA and it didn't miss a beat in the wet. I wasn't hammering it around for safety sake but it still did a great job.

2. I've sealed my car with Full Metal Jacket from Final Inspection so all the water beads off my car. When hit 60km/h or more water runs up the screen so I don't usually need to use the wipers.

Reactions: AMGz

·
Registered
694 Posts
1. It's been raining all week here in Melbourne, I've got 4Matic on my GLA and it didn't miss a beat in the wet. I wasn't hammering it around for safety sake but it still did a great job.

2. I've sealed my car with Full Metal Jacket from Final Inspection so all the water beads off my car. When hit 60km/h or more water runs up the screen so I don't usually need to use the wipers.
That's what I like about that tech, even folks that drive in winter conditions could make use of it, imagine how much better windsheilds would be cleared of snow and how much less ice would stick.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've been using Rainex for decades on a lot of cars and never had a problem with it. On my Vettes it would make it so that the windshield wipers were often not needed and I used it on the transparent roof as well when I had a base car. In those cars of course you often look through the trans roof (if you have it) to see stop lights, signs, etc. Where I'm going here is that the problems described don't jive with long experience on many cars. Not just my own either, it's widely used and often recommended. I'm not saying this didn't happen of course but I would lean toward there being another coating on the window already and the Rainex went over it or some other factor in the mix.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts