Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Brussels we had a torrential rain storm on Tuesday which resulted in a lot of flooding in certain areas... one part round the city park area which forms part of the central road system had sections where the road flooded around 8-12 inches deep, plus there were two sections where the water was running across the road like a mini river (about 4-6 inches deep)... luckily I noticed these in time and managed to slow down (unlike a BMW driver who nearly lost control hitting them at speed).

I was unsure of the driving depth of the GLA so chanced it by driving through at slow speed, but all seemed okay. I checked the engine bay and hardly any water had got through the underfloor panels so I guess the movement of the car avoid the water flooding into the engine bay.

Overall I was impressed by how sturdy the GLA was in the wet, it didn't loose traction or slide out of line even though the roads were covered with torrential rain. My car is a front wheel drive model so I can only assume the four wheel drive is even more secure on the road...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well they did try to make the GLA capable of doing some minimal off-road stuff. I think that a road flooding sounds like that is exactly the type of thing they were preparing the GLA for. Hopefully it does as well in other harsher conditions too. It needs to do well in snow storms for me living in Canada.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wouldn't say they prepared it specifically for road flooding, more like they prepared it for going off-road and driving through some deep water.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Road flooding, deep water, is there really much of a difference? Seems like basically the same thing to me. I'd like to see some video footage of the GLA taking on these conditions. See how it handles it first hand.

·
Registered
694 Posts
as far as off-roading goes, i don't think we'll see them focus on it
it might be minimal
this seems to be more of a city vehicle to them and how they will market it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read somewhere that the North American GLA 250 will ride 1.5-3 inches higher than the European one to make it more of an SUV. The AMG 45 one will have the same height as Europe's though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts