Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, due to Covid-19 non-travel our Florida GLA has not been driven since very early March. Given continued "hot spot" for the state we likely won't get a chance to drive it until July or August, so 5-6 months non-use.

Historically the garage staff would start/run the vehicle for about 15 minutes per week (it's a very nice facility but older so no provisions for a battery maintainer). However the local Benz dealership told us Not to have them continue to do so over this long duration, citing to wait and then take an extended drive upon arrival. They were more concerned with not cycling the mechanicals/fluids during these periodic in-place startups.

We have a newer Li-ion starter pack which I would assume will do its job and given the GLA's "deep cycle" battery it should have survived reasonably well (Aux battery likely not so much, which is ok as auto start/stop not appreciated).

I would appreciate advice and recommendations from this astute group who have faced similar circumstances. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
569 Posts
15 minute run time does not get everything up to full trump just setting there and running at idle speed. Trans does not go through all the gear changes and other fluids do not get a good work out. Cat converters have all ways been of concern with long times of just idling. I would go with MB and stop doing it. Most people who have sports cars as fun cars in cold weather areas park them for long winter storage and do not start them over and over during storage.

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
Gbarringer's advice is good. Other things include higher pressure in the tires, full tank of gas, fuel stabilizer, and fresh oil.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gents. Alas we weren't able to do any of the typical long term storage items as we didn't anticipate being away so long given the virus.

I was more curious as to how it would start on a jump-pack after potentially 6 months. I guess no different than any other flat battery situation.

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
I had this situation with Pam's car recently. I was quite surprised to find the Owner's Manual (2017) stated there was nothing to be done. It took a bit of time for the clock to auto set. But there was no need to program or initialize anything. A lot easier than I expected!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Related, I just got an email from Mini USA (my daughter has one) and they recommend running It for 15 minutes at idle weekly. But they further recommend if possible to roll it to and fro in the driveway. And to keep track of tire location to avoid flat spots.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update on my very early March - to yesterday hibernated Florida GLA: It's Alive! :)

My Li-ion starter pack was inadequate. So too was the charger the garage staff initially tried. But the heavy duty charger aboard the AAA truck worked and then we immediately set off for a long drive. Coincidentally it's due for dealership annual service next week so am going to have them do a battery capacity check amongst all the typical others.

The staff is going to let me use one of their few garage outlets for a Battery Tender maintainer when I depart. :)

Note: Benz installed a new main battery in January 2019 as the original factory one died during a long trip north to Orlando [coincidentally right after annual dealership service and being specifically asked to ensure it was long trip worthy]. :(
We've had no issues at all with our MA GLA however. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts