Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. New forum member here from the Northeast. Looking to buy an AWD with some decent cargo room to commute to a new job and offer some utility to complement our SLK. Here's the kicker: it's about 60 MILES away and will entail about 90 MINUTES each way. (About 30k miles a year. Hooboy.)

Obviously, ride quality and comfort are extremely important. There will be a lot of traffic and the highways are pretty rough in some places. But style and driving enjoyment are also key factors. Here's my short list. I know these aren't often compared, but there just aren't many vehicles out there that appeal to my taste.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd Diesel (front runner)
Mercedes GLA 250 (favorite styling)
Lexus NX200t (good mix of style/comfort)
Mazda CX-5 2016 (nice value candidate)

I know you guys love the driving enjoyment of the MB, but for a mega commuter, what issues would you anticipate with this car? (Fuel costs not a determining factor) Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
My commute into DC from the Maryland suburbs in 26 miles, and after two weeks of owning a GLA 250 my main complaint is that the commute suddenly seems too short. :D Loving it as a commuter car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha that's awesome zomzom. I'll switch commutes with you - what do you say? Was just concerned about some reviews saying the ride was stiff for its class.

Dblxx, hope you will share your experience once it arrives.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The ride is great, but I might go with the diesel Cherokee. More storage space. I love my GLA, but I miss the 30 mpg I was getting on my CLA, average. Now I am averaging 25, and spending a bit more on gas. I hear the CX-5 is a nice vehicle, but the highway MPG is only 34 versus 32 for the GLA.

·
Registered
694 Posts
how are you guys liking the shifter and how it shifts?
some people i've spoke to that took a GLA for a test drive say it's not as nice as other vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
how are you guys liking the shifter and how it shifts?
some people i've spoke to that took a GLA for a test drive say it's not as nice as other vehicles.
sometimes its a little slow off the line to respond but I like it overall. It depends on how you drive it. The benz is meant to feel responsive and that it is. It makes for a fun driver around town to me and with better mpgs than many other vehicles.

I commute about 10 miles in Chicago city traffic every day and its perfect. The wife uses it for shopping trips on the weekend. Perfect addition to our family with a g37xS as the wife's daily.

·
Registered
94 Posts
At 700 miles on my car the shifting is smoother from a start than it was new. Some combination of the car learning my driving style and my adjusting to the car. Worth noting that I have yet to put the car in Sport mode, per the owner's manual recommendation to wait until after the first 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
At 700 miles on my car the shifting is smoother from a start than it was new. Some combination of the car learning my driving style and my adjusting to the car. Worth noting that I have yet to put the car in Sport mode, per the owner's manual recommendation to wait until after the first 1,000 miles.

I've got about 800 miles and have cheated a bit with Sport mode! :D

The difference between Sport and Economy is amazing. A soon as I hit 1,000, I'll be banging the paddle shifters. Once you get comfortable using them - it's a little awkward at first - it's a lot of fun, especially downshifting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts