Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious of others thoughts/experiences regarding MB's gearing/shifting of the GLA? I am trying to ascertain as to whether MB has geared the powertrain of my car by design, or if a trip to the dealer for programming is in order.

I purchased a CPO GLA-250 4Matic last June. Nice little thing, but one aspect drives me mad every time I run it. What I perceive to be uneccesary shifting into the next gear prematurely.

Example: I drive suburban/rural routes primarily, these are 35-45mph roads, plenty of traffic, stops, slight hills etc.. I am constantly forced to tap the pedal off and on routinely to maintain speed and flow of traffic. The GLA has a nasty habit of tossing me into the next gear at a low RPM - 1050 to 1200rpm. To which I paddle back to the previous gear to maintain speed at around 1400-1500rpm. If I do not, the powertrain rumbles, because you are asking it to gently cough up a little more power at the low RPM (similar to pulling from a stop sign out of 2nd or 3rd gear for example).

Daily I say to myself - "..there is no %@$#ing reason this car should be coasting along at 36mph, in 7th gear, at 1050rpm!!" or, 6th gear, same RPM, at 26-27mph. Every drive is an exercise in fighting the cars will to upshift! During faster, or slower speeds, this problem does not see to be a problem. but anywhere from 25 to 45 give or take, it is aggravating.

Is this a common thing, and by design? Or a software bug needing addressed at the dealer? Mechanically, I would say all is good. Any ideas or experience? -Thanks all!!

·
675 Posts
The GLA has what is like a double-clutch. The car will shift from one gear to another gear based on how you are driving and will try to react to be ready for your next change for what should be a smooth change of gears.

You might try doing a reset of the transmission to relearn your driving habits.

Try a reset of the transmission.
What does it do? in a nutshell, it resets the ECU/TCU's learned detection of throttle inputs, effectively re-establishing the 0% and 100% pedal travel positions. , ie. quick rabbit starts as opposed to slow takeoffs. it gets used to how you drive.

If you want an instant throttle response, you can have it for free.
With the engine off, turn the key to position 2 (don't start it.) or depress the start button twice that all the dash lights come on. Do not have your foot on the brake pedal.
Press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor past the kick-down click.
Hold it down for about 30 seconds.
Take your foot off the pedal and take the key out. or hit the start/stop button to turn off everything.
Wait 5 seconds, and start the car.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Registered
2016 GLA250 4matic
11 Posts
Curious of others thoughts/experiences regarding MB's gearing/shifting of the GLA? I am trying to ascertain as to whether MB has geared the powertrain of my car by design, or if a trip to the dealer for programming is in order.

I purchased a CPO GLA-250 4Matic last June. Nice little thing, but one aspect drives me mad every time I run it. What I perceive to be uneccesary shifting into the next gear prematurely.

Example: I drive suburban/rural routes primarily, these are 35-45mph roads, plenty of traffic, stops, slight hills etc.. I am constantly forced to tap the pedal off and on routinely to maintain speed and flow of traffic. The GLA has a nasty habit of tossing me into the next gear at a low RPM - 1050 to 1200rpm. To which I paddle back to the previous gear to maintain speed at around 1400-1500rpm. If I do not, the powertrain rumbles, because you are asking it to gently cough up a little more power at the low RPM (similar to pulling from a stop sign out of 2nd or 3rd gear for example).

Daily I say to myself - "..there is no %@$#ing reason this car should be coasting along at 36mph, in 7th gear, at 1050rpm!!" or, 6th gear, same RPM, at 26-27mph. Every drive is an exercise in fighting the cars will to upshift! During faster, or slower speeds, this problem does not see to be a problem. but anywhere from 25 to 45 give or take, it is aggravating.

Is this a common thing, and by design? Or a software bug needing addressed at the dealer? Mechanically, I would say all is good. Any ideas or experience? -Thanks all!!
I feel you. Totally disappointing and utterly annoying. But this doesn't happen in Sports mode, only in Comfort and Econ, correct?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts