Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think the GLA even won over the Porsche Macan in some comparisions. Exactly I recall MotorTrend being on of them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is this just picking out the reviews that are favorable, or is the GLA consistently getting reviews that say it is better than its competitors?

·
Registered
470 Posts
From what I've read in several reviews, GLA tends to win when performance and "fun to drive" are the main criteria and factor (especially with the GLA45), which is what most car magazine reviewers care for.

When it comes to luxury and quality and daily driving, it doesn't quite make it on top. Most complaints I've seen are noisy cabin, harsh ride, quality not up to par with typical Mercedes vehicles, small for it declares it to be (an SUV), etc...

You watch the Consumer Reports vid where they pretty much bash almost everything about the GLA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-svTUHmOuYY

Sorry, don't know how to embed vid here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is this just picking out the reviews that are favorable, or is the GLA consistently getting reviews that say it is better than its competitors?
...more like the op posted an autotrader link and the link at the bottom was for the GLA vs X1 comparison...so I posted that one too...it's not that tough to figure out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also find it funnny that we're getting positive review while the CLA is getting mostly negative review when in fact GLA is based on CLA

·
Registered
470 Posts
I also find it funnny that we're getting positive review while the CLA is getting mostly negative review when in fact GLA is based on CLA
I think just based on utility alone most prefer the GLA. It really is almost impossible to fit anyone in the back of the CLA if the person has legs. lol

Reactions: AMGz

·
Registered
180 Posts
I read both those reviews and agree with what they're saying, except about the GLA's ride comfort and noise level. I have no problem with either, but then again, I never test drove the Q3.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Also initially there were a lot of build quality concerns with the CLA, weird cut off points for material on the rear door panels was one of them.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You watch the Consumer Reports vid where they pretty much bash almost everything about the GLA:

Consumer Reports should stick with washing machines and coffee makers. They are the least knowledgable source for car info unless you want a plan jane vanilla mobile ;)

Reactions: Azrielsc

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I read both those reviews and agree with what they're saying, except about the GLA's ride comfort and noise level. I have no problem with either, but then again, I never test drove the Q3.
I test drove both Q3 and GLA. GLA ride comfort was superior to Q3, but I found GLA noise level higher. I think the Goodyear run flats have a lot to do with that.

Still glad I bought the GLA instead of Q3.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Those two are definitely being cross shopped an awful lot. The GLA gets criticized for its noise level and having less features standard. The Q3 is supposed to be less fun to drive though. I think it ends up depending on the person. It's not like one is way better than the other.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've read in many reviews that many just do not know which classification to put the GLA on, especially the AMG version. It probably doesn't help that MB insist on calling it an SUV despite it's limited cargo space and low stance, lower than the typical SUV and so low that the government considers it a car and not a truck/SUV.

Many just considers it a hatchback (or a raised hatchback for the non-AMG) but MB frowns upon those who call it that even though it is practically the A-Class.

So in that regards, it is kind of difficult to find something that it really goes head to head with. It really is in between a cross over and car and the grey area becomes even more dim with the AMG. It isn't quite against the Q3/X1/NX but it isn't quite like the A3 hatch (doesn't even exist in the US) or any other wagons in Audi or BMWs line-up. It isn't exactly like the Evoque or Macan especially if you look at the price differences, the GLA45 sits right in between (not to mention that it vastly out performs the Evoque and it seems like you need to jump to the Macan Turbo to match up the two but price goes insanely high) those and the GLA250 is way, way cheaper than those two.

Many says the GLA45 is a grown up WRX STI or a more luxurious Golf R but those are hatches which is again a distinction MB disdains to associate with the GLA.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've read in many reviews that many just do not know which classification to put the GLA on, especially the AMG version. It probably doesn't help that MB insist on calling it an SUV despite it's limited cargo space and low stance, lower than the typical SUV and so low that the government considers it a car and not a truck/SUV.

Many just considers it a hatchback (or a raised hatchback for the non-AMG) but MB frowns upon those who call it that even though it is practically the A-Class.

So in that regards, it is kind of difficult to find something that it really goes head to head with. It really is in between a cross over and car and the grey area becomes even more dim with the AMG. It isn't quite against the Q3/X1/NX but it isn't quite like the A3 hatch (doesn't even exist in the US) or any other wagons in Audi or BMWs line-up. It isn't exactly like the Evoque or Macan especially if you look at the price differences, the GLA45 sits right in between (not to mention that it vastly out performs the Evoque and it seems like you need to jump to the Macan Turbo to match up the two but price goes insanely high) those and the GLA250 is way, way cheaper than those two.

Many says the GLA45 is a grown up WRX STI or a more luxurious Golf R but those are hatches which is again a distinction MB disdains to associate with the GLA.
The GLA is really more Subaru XV Crosstec and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport in terms of size. Or the sameless Kia Forte5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I test drove the Q3 before the GLA and the GLA won hands down. The ride was smoother and quieter than the q3 and the sight lines were much better. Plus the GLA locally was about 2-3K less than a comparably equipped Q3. I was all set to go with the Q3 until we drove the GLA at the last minute. My wife who could care less about cars was blown away by the GLA. I found the ride smooth and quiet but we currently own two subarus so maybe it's just my basis for comparison is different. One thing I will note after doing a ton of research on cars is the reviews tend to be all over the place so it was really hard to get a sense of what was actually good and what wasn't. It was very frustrating. BTW- This forum was a great source of information while making the decision. Thank you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So you didn't like anything about the Q3 better than the GLA? I'm just surprised that many of the things you are saying are counter to what most reviews say.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I can't think of anything I liked better about the Q3 I test drove over the GLA. Maybe standard leather and lower price, but that would be all.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Wrong. The government classifies the GLA250 as a light truck, NOT a car.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
+1 on the light truck classification.

In Indiana you can title a GLA250 as a car or a light truck. Car annual plate fee is $20 less than light truck plate fee, so naturally I opted for the car title.

Why is Indiana light truck plate more than car plate you might ask? Most likely answer is that Indiana has more light trucks than cars, so adds to the BMV coffers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts