Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes GLA 200d
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

May I ask your opinions on how to deal if you have been in an accident. Is it better to liaise directly with the insurer, or rather the Mercedes accident team to help settle the claim and undertake repair on the vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
650 Posts
If I had an accident I would have the vehicle towed to my local MB dealership (or if I knew of one a reputable independent Benz-specialty repair shop). They would evaluate the damage to determine what parts & labor would be necessary, and work directly with my insurer who would negotiate/approve the course of action.
But the process may be different on your side of the pond.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Had a small fender bender and contacted my insurance agent who advised me to work with the person who hit me insurance company as he was at fault. He said this way I would not have a claim on my insurance and would not get a price increase. Claims will cause your rate to go up. Per my insurance company, I am still claim-free and the rate has not gone up. Most all insurance companies here have body shops they prefer you use, which helps to speed the process.

Reactions: Geo K

·
Super Moderator
650 Posts
Good points, however my state is "no fault" so I can proceed as I described (the respective insurance companies work it out without personal involvement). 😉
Yes, many MB dealerships sub-out the work to a body shop, but they retain responsibility for "as new" repair condition which again is why I like to work with them directly - fortunately very rarely needed (now I've just jinxed myself 🤦‍♂️
Had a small fender bender and contacted my insurance agent who advised me to work with the person who hit me insurance company as he was at fault. He said this way I would not have a claim on my insurance and would not get a price increase. Claims will cause your rate to go up. Per my insurance company, I am still claim-free and the rate has not gone up. Most all insurance companies here have body shops they prefer you use, which helps to speed the process.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Hi guys,

May I ask your opinions on how to deal if you have been in an accident. Is it better to liaise directly with the insurer, or rather the Mercedes accident team to help settle the claim and undertake repair on the vehicle?
OP would do well to post this question to the UK section of a c63 forum

or pop by the pub outside the dealership..........

·
Registered
9 Posts
EarlBhadz17
Welcome to the GLA Forum :)
a) Suggest you get checked out by a medical doctor.

b) In your opinion, which driver was at fault?
c) What are the details of the accident?
c) Suggest you consider a consult with a barrister specializing in auto accident claims.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident

In Florida, I would also have the car towed from the accident site to a dealership for assessment and repair. If one deals with the other party's insurer directly (assuming they are at fault) their insurance company will pay for the repairs and you don't have your deductible as an expense. Experience is, if you are respectfully assertive with them, they'll also provide the rental.

The other alternative is to have your insurance company handle the claim and file a small claims complaint in court, naming the insured and their provider as defendants for out of pocket expenses like deductibles, court costs, etc.

Hope it works out well for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts