Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is a 2015 GLA250 AWD. I smell something bad when I turn on AC for a few seconds and then the smell goes away. Also noticed there isnt any water dripping in the garage floor after 10+ mins of running the AC. Anyone experienced this issue and any possible quick fixes?

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
Mildew like smell? Has the car been sitting for a while, or used only with the AC off?

May need to take it out and run it on high for a while to clean the passages. My F250 primarily sits and has this "problem" accordingly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I let the AC on for about the same time on my X5, there was so much water in the garage. I guess it is some blockage in the drain pipe. Any idea if it is covered under warranty. Would hate it if I have to spend time and $$$ on an issue that isn't expected in a 1 year old vehicle.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I let the AC on for about the same time on my X5, there was so much water in the garage. I guess it is some blockage in the drain pipe. Any idea if it is covered under warranty. Would hate it if I have to spend time and $$$ on an issue that isn't expected in a 1 year old vehicle.
A one-year old vehicle is covered by warranty. I'd have it checked out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mildew like smell? Has the car been sitting for a while, or used only with the AC off?

May need to take it out and run it on high for a while to clean the passages. My F250 primarily sits and has this "problem" accordingly.
We have been using AC regularly but this "mildew" like smell happened a couple of days ago...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A one-year old vehicle is covered by warranty. I'd have it checked out.
Thank you, I'll call the dealer and check it out. I don't think we had this issue last summer...

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think it's not uncommon. I've had it on several recent cars. My local service station used to use a spray of some kind that stopped the smell for a couple of months. They charged me around $10 to spray-exactly where they sprayed, I'm not sure. You probably should have the drain checked sooner rather than later. Hard to say where excess condensate may go.

Reactions: skorpien

·
Registered
140 Posts
The condensate drip hose had become clogged. You not only need it cleared but a mildew cleaner sprayed on the evaporator coil to kill what's in there. Had this on my wife's C class. Key to preventing is to leave A/C on all the time in Auto mode and adjust temp as needed. Warranty should cover and dealer should know the procedure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Don't have this problem on my GLA but had the same problem on my BMW 328xi. As Tirgoman said, it has to do with the drain getting clogged and mildew forming on the AC/heater coils since the moisture can't clear the box that houses the coils.

It apparently starts when people turn off their fan after running the AC (e.g., on hot days or for defrost), which results in mildew forming on and subsequently clogging the drain on its way out.

Like Tirgoman said, one solution is to run the fan all the time (especially after using defrost or AC).

It's a pain to deal with yourself unless you have a lift and can get under the car and find the drain, and that is assuming you can actually clear the drain from the bottom which was a pain on the BMW as the drain pipe is curved around several parts under the car. The other solution is to open up the dash to take out the AC box and clean it out.

Reactions: skorpien

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it's not uncommon. I've had it on several recent cars. My local service station used to use a spray of some kind that stopped the smell for a couple of months. They charged me around $10 to spray-exactly where they sprayed, I'm not sure. You probably should have the drain checked sooner rather than later. Hard to say where excess condensate may go.
Hi, I took it to the dealer today. He sprayed antibacterial liquid into the vent under the hood that is that intake for AC. He mentioned that Cabin filter could be an issue with mildew BUT I still havent seen one bit of water dripping out or nothing inside the vehicle so far. Have another appointment in two weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The condensate drip hose had become clogged. You not only need it cleared but a mildew cleaner sprayed on the evaporator coil to kill what's in there. Had this on my wife's C class. Key to preventing is to leave A/C on all the time in Auto mode and adjust temp as needed. Warranty should cover and dealer should know the procedure.
It makes sense. I have the "Auto" mode in all my other vehicles but not in GLA. Owned a Audi A4 for 19 years (solid) and never had this problem as I used Auto mode all the time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thought all MB have Auto setting but maybe not. Should have a button that says Auto on dash, then set temp with dial. Fan will run at appropriate speed. If you move fan speed manually it will turn off Auto so you'll have to re-engage it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought all MB have Auto setting but maybe not. Should have a button that says Auto on dash, then set temp with dial. Fan will run at appropriate speed. If you move fan speed manually it will turn off Auto so you'll have to re-engage it.
hmm..unless I am missing something, I dont see "Auto". I manually turn it on / off. Smell still continues, AC works well and havent seen water dripping yet...

·
Registered
608 Posts
In 2015 they had a PO1 Premium Package that included Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control; I suspect that there is no Auto setting without this package.

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
My MY2016 GLA 250 started developping this problem. It is odd because AC is used permanently. Perhaps it is the higher himidity in the area this year. My Service Manager recommended to run the heat on Hi for 5 minutes as that kills all organisms in the system. I have no evidence of a clogged drain. I also replaced the pollen filter, even though the filter in place had no visisble mold.

Here is a video on how to replace the pollen filter on a CLA (same thing in the GLA):

https://youtu.be/tDJ-6-DDWyo?t=3m29s

Note: you can see the Start/Stop battery in that footwell location. The video starts with the engine air filter replacement which can be of interest to some.

This is the best filter: Mann FP 26 007 FreciousPlus Activated carbon/polyphenol. Biofunctional cabin filter - See HERE.

The filter can be bought at Amazon.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Really good useful information!

Simple DIY job too!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
GLA a/c smells rather good.

Here is a product that I used to effectively eliminate the jock strap smell from the interior of my BMW.

The GLA a/c is relatively odor free. It is sourced from Nipondenso, the Japanese supplier of ultra reliable never break a/c system for Toyota's and Lexus'.

PS: the photo ended up sideway, sorry!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts