Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow GLA owners...
Decided to modify this fun hot-hatch and really maximize its potential from a performance perspective.
Changes made:
Upgrade turbo - Garrett GTX3071R Gen II
Alpha HPFP (Performance High Pressure Fuel Pump)
Alpha Intercooler
ArmyTrix Ceramic Coated Downpipe and mid-pipe
Custom AMS ECU Calibration

Thought I would share how this was done and results (soon to follow)
Intercooler
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Turbo and Exhaust

More to come!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been assured by the team at AMS Performance, that is the case. I myself am surprised there is so much overhead built into the M133.
I don't have to upgrade injectors?
I don't have to touch engine internals?
No fuel rail or lift pump upgrades ?
No transmission upgrades needed?
AWD no issues?
you mean I don't even have to change the plugs? And all of this on Pump fuel (94 Octane - no ethanol). with no Meth injection?
And with longevity? and without sacrifice to normal driving response?
'that is right' And we have beat on our CLA45 for over two years with multiple track 1/4 mile runs on slicks, without issue.'
Crazy right? I do know the m133 fully forged is built well... but
Time will tell!

·
Super Moderator
1,761 Posts
The engine development and test building at the AMG factory was extremely impressive. If you ever have a chance make an appointment for a private tour. It is well worth your time. You will be a believer!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
wow. I assumed you were talking about Ethanol for sure. I'll be impressed if you get there and with longevity.

Is your 94 the Asian 94 or the US 94?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
wow. I assumed you were talking about Ethanol for sure. I'll be impressed if you get there and with longevity.

Is your 94 the Asian 94 or the US 94?
Not using E85. The calibration is done for 94 octane that uses AKI index or what is known as (R+M)/2. Here in Canada and where I live, we have access to 94 Octane AKI gasoline. It does NOT contain ethanol like how most stations achieve higher octanes. I believe this is equivalent to 98 that you are referring to. You can check to confirm.

Not a question of getting there. Im not the first. with Meth one can get another 100. 700hp

·
Registered
101 Posts
Holy ballz. I feel like I want this right now! Ha ha ha!

Thanks for sharing, and keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi fellow GLA owners...
Decided to modify this fun hot-hatch and really maximize its potential from a performance perspective.
Changes made:
Upgrade turbo - Garrett GTX3071R Gen II
Alpha HPFP (Performance High Pressure Fuel Pump)
Alpha Intercooler
ArmyTrix Ceramic Coated Downpipe and mid-pipe
Custom AMS ECU Calibration

Thought I would share how this was done and results (soon to follow)
Intercooler
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Turbo and Exhaust

More to come!
I’d love to do a few upgrades to my 250 I know it’s a bit more sensitive than the amg variant but I don’t appreciate the fact I only have around 211hp I’d love some advice from you guys

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not sure you can had such a high power without touching the internal , I saw a a 45 amg with 550 hp and cylinder head gasket, cylinder hear bolts, sleeve rod bearing at least were specific.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure you can had such a high power without touching the internal , I saw a a 45 amg with 550 hp and cylinder head gasket, cylinder hear bolts, sleeve rod bearing at least were specific.
And why would someone change their gasket bolts and rod bearings? Better yet, what did they replace it with? do you have links / source to understand why they would change and what did they change it to? Was this a pre-planned upgrade or due to some bad mistake that required replacement (reactive replacement from accidental destruction). Who was the AMG engine builder?
All OE AMG engine components are already performance grade and no one offers a list of aftermarket internals that I have ever seen (if you know of any - please supply links), that is because there is no market for it = no reason for it.
The list mentioned also doesn't make sense in claiming its required for higher hp. head gaskets are never an issue - they are MLS - end of story. what did they replace it with, another MLS gasket? lol
What bearings that exist are better than OEM AMG? answer is none. all are OE replacement. So not sure what all this is about but the short answer is - no need to touch internals - even up to 700hp.
This list appears much like someone having to replace a mistake or something else, and nothing to do with supporting 550hp+.

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanks for your reply 👍

you seem to be much better informed than me. it's just a discussion that I read on the internet.

What do you think about have external watse gate ? and methanol injection ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no worries.
Internal wastegate for M133 and M139 engines for street and even drag use is sufficient. These OE and other turbo packages such as Garret are quite good.
If anything was to change, it would be to a Twin Volute Turbo rather than Twin Scroll. Dare to dream.
As for Methanol:
Have to plumb it all, calibrate ECU to handle with and without (or some controller), babysit keeping methanol on-board full and not to run out. Somewhere to install tank, external noisy pumps ... More 'stuff' to fail. Most Meth kits cant handle 100% Methanol either (only good for 50/50 water) and ones that do like AlkyControl start to run you 1000's. If your up for the hassle, it is a good tool to add power but again, I say 'there are other options'.
There is also added benefit of keeping internal engine clean as it is in effect, a good steam clean of parts, especially on valves.
Reduce IATs? ehh.. the Alpha Intercooler does an amazing job, so does the OEM. Depends what climate you are in too.
Ive run big n20 vehicles before and any FI setups. For street use vehicles - I prefer the 'always there - no maintenance' power and always prefer the maintenance free approach.
Also, if its power you are wanting, with the bolt on upgrades available, there is no need for Meth injection. As it is, I have no traction with the OEM 235/40/20 wheels/tires when using launch.. sure don't need 'more' power.
There are plenty of options other than Methanol.
In the end its preference and depends on the assessment of your goals, environment, willing to maintain, vehicle use, money etc...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I fully agree with you regarding methanol injection. each person have a different project in mind regarding his car.

I have 434hp after tune, I think about changing side charge air cooler to improve temp. as boost pressure has been increase due to the ecu tuning.

Personnaly its also a family car so i will not go further in terms of power, next step its killing understeer without reducing confort :ROFLMAO: , my plan is increase camber angle in front, stiffer sway bar at the rear, and replace my 235 continental by 255 michelin ( I have 20" wheels )

You only speak about the engine, any plan for chassis ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
which 20" wheels do you have and what offsets?
I also have to upgrade wheels. Launch is useless on these 235 ContiSportContact P5. There is so much wheel spin with any launch soft or Race the 4Matic Unavailable is flashing before the 2nd shift even happens.

Spending a bunch of time to figure out what can be stuffed on these cars.
it is looking like Offset of 45 is needed in the back and 40 in the front to cram 10.5" section width tyres on 20x9 wheels. Looks like custom.
Most wheels 20x9 seem to come with ET35. which might work in the front, but no way in the rear.

Otherwise its 20x8.5 with 40ET - but then down to a 255 tyre choice.

Also unsure what clears and what doesn't with these large brakes up front. not too concerned through as the offset for fronts can be 40 or even 35. (either by adding spacers or staggering the wheel build)
Im lookin at something either WORK wheels, Vertini or Ferrada

WORK:
Matte Black with brushed aluminum

Vertini:
RFS1.5 Satin Black with Chrome Lip. - inquiring if they can do chrome lip

Ferrada:
In Matte Graphite w chrome lip OR Matte Black with Chrome Lip

CM2

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the factory 20" wheels by 8" offset 43 with 235 40 20" tyres. I had 20mm spacer all around( like if i had 23 offset now) , it improve very well cornering, the rear tyres rub a little on the back ( only the plastic black fender flare ) but after few session on racetrack its not rubbing anymore.

I plan to try 255/35 20" tyres ( michelin 4s ) but I don't think I can install 255 tyre on 8" wheels...

If you can have the perfect fitment without installing spacer it will be the best solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Factory wheel, yes is 43.5mm offset. It is not recommended to install 255 tyre on an 8" wheel, no.
To note, the ideal fitment is staggered offsets, which means, no wheel/tyre rotation, not sure if that is the 'best solution'. To allow tyre rotation, Id buy all wheels with the same ET offset and use spacers in the front. E.g. 45 ET wheels all around and a 5mm spacer in the front to clear the strut and push the wheel out a bit. 45ET in the back is good to go.
it is good to know that 20mm in the rear on stock setup when using a tyre with a section width of 9.3" (mounted on a 8" wheel) is about the limit. Are you stock suspension / ride height?
Its all about the tire section width that will determine if the fender / tyre will make contact.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm stock suspension.

I will soon install michelin in the same size 235/40 R20) , may be section width even in the same size will change from one brand to another.

I understand your point about wheel/tyre rotation, its a good idea, I don't have the gla since enough time to know if the wear of the tyre will be symetric from front to rear. depend on the way I drive it, but front should be weared faster.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just went through this.

my tires have 6mm of tread. When the front was ~2mm, the back was 5mm. That surprised me.

I’m gonna try not rotating and jusr burn 2 sets of fronts per set of back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts