Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very positive test of the GLA 45 vs Audi SQ5 vs Macan Turbo in Road & Track February 2015 issue! Best fun and faster of the lot for the GLA :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Especially the Macan Turbo is almost 80% more expensive..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own bot the GLA45 and the SQ5 they are different is so many ways. I wouldnt even put them in the same category. I put the GLA in the same arena as my EVO MR
I like both and would recommend both just think the SQ5 is more of family car and the GLA can be used as a family car if that makes sense.
here is one clue I had to add a roof rack to use the GLA when taking my family out for the day (wifey, 16yr daughter and new born son) when you put a full size stroller and go shopping you run out of room pretty quick in the trunk of the GLA the SQ5 has more overall room. however if I was going alone or just hanging with my 16 year old I would rather the GLA all day long. maybe its a matter of opinion.

Reactions: fatalus

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have read some comments about the turbo lag(or lets say the hesitation in low rpm) in the GLA45. Is it really as noticeable as some magazines write about? Same about the hesitation from stand still, is it so irritating?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have read responses from other people on the turbo lag and for some it has been bad enough to be a deal breaker... enough to cause concern for those who have yet to investigate it further as those folks have done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The turbo lag so called problem isn't turbo lag in my opinion. It's the tranny. I have owned my 45 since September and I have come to the conclusion that in an effort to be green, most modern trannys in auto mode shift into higher gears to fast. The low rpms make the engine lug, turbo or not

Even in the so called sport mode the thing shifts up way too fast to feel sporty, unless you're really laying on the throttle. But you can't do that in town, in traffic.

However, put it in manual and keep the revs up where they belong and I don't feel turbo lag at all. It's an instant blast. I was going to start a thread, so I'll just ask here.... Do your cars shift up really fast in sport/auto? Mine does almost as soon as comfort mode,seems to be very little difference to me between C and S. Have others noticed this?

In manual and over 2500 rpm, no lag.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
144 Posts
The turbo lag so called problem isn't turbo lag http://www.autoguide.com/mobile
Yes it's a bit odd professional journalists don't know the difference between turbo lag and transmission mapping. One of the various plug and play products out all do the same thing, allow you to adjust throttle feel from relaxed to immediate. Sprintbooster, rebellion throttle control unit , vivid racing. In stock mode you press the throttle and the car moves off slowly unless you press it beyond what feels normal. In the next 2 of 3 modes it just goes without that "lag" and if that requires too much focus for stop and go driving stock mode works better. Really this should be built in similar to the subaru sti etc but otoh this is very easy and quick to adjust with a glowing switch by the shifter so no sub sub menu

·
Registered
246 Posts
I own bot the GLA45 and the SQ5 they are different is so many ways. I wouldnt even put them in the same category. I put the GLA in the same arena as my EVO MR
I like both and would recommend both just think the SQ5 is more of family car and the GLA can be used as a family car if that makes sense.
here is one clue I had to add a roof rack to use the GLA when taking my family out for the day (wifey, 16yr daughter and new born son) when you put a full size stroller and go shopping you run out of room pretty quick in the trunk of the GLA the SQ5 has more overall room. however if I was going alone or just hanging with my 16 year old I would rather the GLA all day long. maybe its a matter of opinion.

Indeed, the 45 is much more hatch than it is 'truck'

·
Registered
694 Posts
some guys might even get pissed if you call it a truck.
Show up to a diesel pick up meet, step out, look at them and say "look at ma truck!" (while pointing to your GLA)..... yea that won't go well LOL

·
Registered
122 Posts
Show up to a diesel pick up meet, step out, look at them and say "look at ma truck!" (while pointing to your GLA)..... yea that won't go well LOL
How very true...but it would be one heck of a good laugh just to see their faces once you say it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts