Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So excited. I've never had an AMG or a serious performance car before. Closest was a Jetta 1.8T wolfsburg edition. I have a feeling these are not similar at all. Coming from my sluggish C250 4Matic, this is certainly going to be a treat.

Thanks everyone for all of your posts here. Really helped me make my decision. Looks like everyone is really happy with theirs, and the reviews are all pretty good.

The one thing I noticed when test driving is that it's super slow when starting from a full stop for the first secondish. I've read a few reviews which said the same. Has anyone else experienced this? Have you found a way to make it smoother from a dead stop? Sometimes it felt like I was driving standard and not putting it in first gear well. Kinda not very smooth for a Mercedes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So far, I find that turning off the stop-start function and using the HOLD function helps to achieve a smooth standing start. In case you don't know what the HOLD function is here's some excerpts from the Owner's Manual:

The HOLD function can assist the driver in the
following situations:

- when pulling away, especially on steep
slopes
- when maneuvering on steep slopes
- when waiting in traffic

The vehicle is kept stationary without the
driver having to depress the brake pedal.
The braking effect is canceled and the HOLD
function deactivated when you depress the
accelerator pedal to pull away.

Activating the HOLD function:

- Depress the brake pedal.
- Quickly depress the brake pedal further
until HOLD appears in the multifunction display.

The HOLD function is activated. You can
release the brake pedal.

Deactivating the HOLD function:

The HOLD function is deactivated automatically
if:
- you accelerate. On vehicles with automatic
transmission: only when the transmission
is in position D or R.

I'm still in the running-in period (almost done!) so I've only been driving in comfort mode and accelerating gently to moderately. But by using the HOLD functions under these parameters I can poise my foot over the accelerator pedal instead of having to move my foot quickly from the brake to the gas to move forward. It's just a matter then of trial and error to get the right technique to disengage the HOLD with your right foot on the gas for a smooth start.

Reactions: Azrielsc

·
Registered
355 Posts
Congrats on the delivery!

I am doing what gs23 described.

Turn off START/STOP eco function is the first thing that I always do after starting the car, even before putting my seatbelt on!

Then at every time I come to a complete stop, I will just press on the brake hard and the HOLD word will appear on your dashboard and then lift my leg and position my foot over the accelerator.

Cheerio!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'm glad to hear that it's not just me. I'll have to try that. I don't have a hold feature on my C250.

"I'm still in the running-in period (almost done!) so I've only been driving in comfort mode and accelerating gently to moderately."

How necessary do you think this is? How many kms is the run in period? My car is considered a demo. It has 150 kms on it. When I tested it I was flooring it all over the place. I imagine others did too. Do you think that will mess up the engine or something later on?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Its's just the characteristic of the transmission, eventually you'll get used to it but to others it is enough of an annoyance to pass on the car, at least on the CLA45's case because it has practically the same transmission.

Shifts are slightly quicker on the GLA45 in comparison to the CLA45 but the movement from a stand still can still be slow.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I guess I'm glad to hear that it's not just me. I'll have to try that. I don't have a hold feature on my C250.

"I'm still in the running-in period (almost done!) so I've only been driving in comfort mode and accelerating gently to moderately."

How necessary do you think this is? How many kms is the run in period? My car is considered a demo. It has 150 kms on it. When I tested it I was flooring it all over the place. I imagine others did too. Do you think that will mess up the engine or something later on?
I kept mine under 4,000rpm for the first 1,500km, varying the rpm.

But also equally important is to bed in your brakes and tires as well. And once I reached 5,000km, I did a tire rotation as well, just to even out any uneven wear on them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Also check out your manual, page 142. I extracted a bit from there:

> The more you look after the engine when it is
new, the more satisfied you will be with its
performance in the future.
R You should therefore drive at varying vehicle and engine speeds for the first
1000 miles (1500 km).
R Avoid heavy loads, e.g. driving at full throttle, during this period.
R Change gear in good time, before the tachometer needle is [FONT=mbsymb6_inv]Ô of the way to the red
area of the tachometer.
R Do not manually shift to a lower gear to
brake the vehicle.
R Try to avoid depressing the accelerator
pedal beyond the point of resistance (kickdown).
R Ideally, for the first 1000 miles (1500 km),
drive in program E.
After 1,000 miles (1,500 km), you can
increase the engine speed gradually and bring
the vehicle to full speed.
Additional breaking-in notes for AMG vehicles:
R Do not drive faster than 85 mph
(140 km/h) for the first 1,000 miles
(1,500 km).
R Only allow the engine to reach a maximum
engine speed of 4,500 rpm briefly.
R Change gear in good time.
i You should also observe these notes on
breaking-in if the engine or parts of the
drive train on your vehicle have been
replaced.
i Always observe the respective speed limits.

[/FONT]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm. This makes me nervous. I feel like my car has been driven stupidly for the 100 kilometres it already has on it. Definitely I didn't follow those guidelines when I test drove it last week.

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I finally ticked over 1,000 miles tonight! :D

Attachments

Reactions: SSBGLA45

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got my car last night. Having to hold back waiting for the engine to break in sucks! My girlfriend didn't understand what made an AMG so special, so I floored it for a few seconds to show her. She thought she was going to die, and is not very happy with me for buying such a ridiculous car. Lol.

My dad is a very hard man to impress, and he really really likes it. Very cool car, I'm pretty happy so far.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Very nice, congrats!

You can always tell your girlfriend "AMG equals one man, one engine!" That's what the sales rep keep drilling to my head lol

It will be a torturous first 1000 miles (still working on getting there too) but man oh man is it fun to drive and to hear that exhaust.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Look out! Here come gs23. I still have about 400kms to go.
Drove north on I-5 yesterday. Preferred cruising speed 85mph...effortless. Leapfrogging past slower vehicles @ 90 mph+...great fun. Surprised myself that I hit 100 (glanced at digital speedo) during one passing maneuver...didn't feel it at all!

Ride was a bit firm, but not annoyingly so.

Distronic cruise control very useful to reduce fatigue when traffic flow is variable and mitigate temptation to go faster.

Reactions: Angloman

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drove north on I-5 yesterday. Preferred cruising speed 85mph...effortless. Leapfrogging past slower vehicles @ 90 mph+...great fun. Surprised myself that I hit 100 (glanced at digital speedo) during one passing maneuver...didn't feel it at all!

Ride was a bit firm, but not annoyingly so.

Distronic cruise control very useful to reduce fatigue when traffic flow is variable and mitigate temptation to go faster.
You guys are lucky. The adaptive cruise control isn't available on the GLA in Canada for some reason.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts