Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 GLA250 and I love it, but it has halogen headlights. I had E-Class with LED’s previously and I loved it. I want to upgrade the DRL’s, low beam and high beam headlights, but I wanted to see how easy it is. Has anyone completed the switch yet? If so post a picture and send some links to good led bulbs. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
100 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 GLA250 and I love it, but it has halogen headlights. I had E-Class with LED’s previously and I loved it. I want to upgrade the DRL’s, low beam and high beam headlights, but I wanted to see how easy it is. Has anyone completed the switch yet? If so post a picture and send some links to good led bulbs. Thanks guys!
I too have a 2015, purchased in January. The headlights are so dim! the fog lights and high beams seem OK (for now). I have ordered replacement led low-beam bulbs from CarID and they should be here in a few days. I will take so photos of the before-during-after and post them here. So, stay tuned!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh awesome! I’m hoping it works and looks good. Can’t wait to see the end result. I’ve also thought about changing the entire headlight out (if possible).

·
Registered
2015 GLA250
3 Posts
Hey guys,

Hi All. I too have a 2015 GLA 250, Sport body trim (so no fog lamps). I replaced the low beams with these from Amazon about a month ago:

I waited a month to make sure they continued working and that I liked them. Much brighter and better down-road throw, while adhering pretty closely to the low beam pattern (which is likely dictated by the reflector pattern). I'm happy...have taken them to the mountains skiing and been out in the Pacific Northwest winter rainy nights. They take a little patience to install, and you will need to order these modified clips to replace the stock that hold the halogens in place:

The clips take a little effort to fit to the bulbs, which you want to do first, but are sized to do so very tightly (keep the rubber flange that comes on the bulb, which does cause you to have to compress the flange to get the clips to snap into place, thus the effort). Also, make sure to install the clips in the right orientation (which you can determine based on looking at how they orient to the casing holder). I had a bit of trial and error here, but you want the bulbs to seat with the LEDs on the sides facing left and right after being twisted into the holder with clips pre-installed to the bulb.

Oh, and finally, the covers do fit back onto the headlight assembly even though these take up more space, so you'll avoid problems with water and dirt getting into the headlight assembly. Good luck; fun project! Mike

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
100 Posts
I have an update but no answers yet! The LUMEN kit from CarID arrived yesterday and as soon as I opened it and took the bulbs out of the box, my husband said, "take a picture---I'm willing to be this one doesn't work" and he pointed to a bunch of brown spots all over the LED emitters (the little yellow pads). He connected the first one to make sure it lit up (not fully installed---I'll get to that later), and it lit up nice and bright. He held the bulb in place so I could walk around and into the car to see the light it cast and it was NICE and bright, not too glarey to oncoming drivers, and very, very white compared to the dim yellow halogen. But, sure enough, the one with the brown spots didn't light up at all.

So, we called CarID to report the shipment of a defective bulb and to request a replacement. They apologized profusely (nonstop, really....couldn't get a word in or a question answered due to the barrage of apologies) and opened up a "damaged/defective item request" and while the agent assured me I would get new bulbs shipped, he said I would receive confirmation in 3-5 days. The email I received after the call said that they would "review" my request and provide an answer in 1-2 days. MEANWHILE, I see that if I ordered a new set right now they are $20 cheaper than what I paid on Thursday and I would have them tomorrow. Hmm...methinks attracting new customers is much more important than making sure existing customers get what they (over)paid for. I complained about the price change (they price match all competitors, but do they price match themselves?) and I was promised a $25 gift card (or a refund to my MasterCard? it was hard to make out actual answers in between all of the scripted apologies), but again I'm supposed to wait 3-5 business days for confirmation on that.

Anyway, back to the installation: there didn't appear to be a way to lock the new bulb in place with this kit. I paid $160 for this kit because I was assured it was 100% plug-and-play for the 2015 GLA with halogen headlights. No canbus issues, no clips, no extra parts needed---guaranteed by the sales agent I spoke with when I bought the kit. So, the kit I was sent was either a returned defective product that had some clips left out of the box, or there is indeed a need for some adapter. There were absolutely no instructions or paperwork of any kind in the box, so I can only guess about what should/not have been in there.

SO, feeling very disappointed at having paid $160 for something that arrived broken and probably not fully compatible even when not broken, I returned here and I saw Mike222's post with links to Amazon. Thank you, Mike222! I ordered the bulbs and clips that he suggested and will try those while CarID is still trying to decide if I should have my broken bulb replaced and if so, how long I should have to wait for it. I just want to see if the next box will also come with no paperwork and no adapters of any kind.

I'll be back to update.

·
Registered
2015 GLA250
3 Posts
I have an update but no answers yet! The LUMEN kit from CarID arrived yesterday and as soon as I opened it and took the bulbs out of the box, my husband said, "take a picture---I'm willing to be this one doesn't work" and he pointed to a bunch of brown spots all over the LED emitters (the little yellow pads). He connected the first one to make sure it lit up (not fully installed---I'll get to that later), and it lit up nice and bright. He held the bulb in place so I could walk around and into the car to see the light it cast and it was NICE and bright, not too glarey to oncoming drivers, and very, very white compared to the dim yellow halogen. But, sure enough, the one with the brown spots didn't light up at all.

So, we called CarID to report the shipment of a defective bulb and to request a replacement. They apologized profusely (nonstop, really....couldn't get a word in or a question answered due to the barrage of apologies) and opened up a "damaged/defective item request" and while the agent assured me I would get new bulbs shipped, he said I would receive confirmation in 3-5 days. The email I received after the call said that they would "review" my request and provide an answer in 1-2 days. MEANWHILE, I see that if I ordered a new set right now they are $20 cheaper than what I paid on Thursday and I would have them tomorrow. Hmm...methinks attracting new customers is much more important than making sure existing customers get what they (over)paid for. I complained about the price change (they price match all competitors, but do they price match themselves?) and I was promised a $25 gift card (or a refund to my MasterCard? it was hard to make out actual answers in between all of the scripted apologies), but again I'm supposed to wait 3-5 business days for confirmation on that.

Anyway, back to the installation: there didn't appear to be a way to lock the new bulb in place with this kit. I paid $160 for this kit because I was assured it was 100% plug-and-play for the 2015 GLA with halogen headlights. No canbus issues, no clips, no extra parts needed---guaranteed by the sales agent I spoke with when I bought the kit. So, the kit I was sent was either a returned defective product that had some clips left out of the box, or there is indeed a need for some adapter. There were absolutely no instructions or paperwork of any kind in the box, so I can only guess about what should/not have been in there.

SO, feeling very disappointed at having paid $160 for something that arrived broken and probably not fully compatible even when not broken, I returned here and I saw Mike222's post with links to Amazon. Thank you, Mike222! I ordered the bulbs and clips that he suggested and will try those while CarID is still trying to decide if I should have my broken bulb replaced and if so, how long I should have to wait for it. I just want to see if the next box will also come with no paperwork and no adapters of any kind.

I'll be back to update.
Hi Christine. Good luck with the new ones. I also saw several available for much more money (as you see, the ones I ordered are not expensive in comparison, and they state you get 30,000 hours...we'll see on that). One other thing I didn't mention on mine is that the plug-ins have to be installed with the proper polarization (i.e., there is a "red and black wire" so to speak...except they are not identified, and this is stated in the directions, which were present, but not super detailed, especially about the clips, which I had to figure out). You were smart to plug the first ones in and test them before taking the time to install. So, if one of these new ones doesn't work, reverse the plug and it should light up. I also did not need can bus/resistor kit; I have no flicker or codes.

·
Super Moderator
690 Posts
Being Light Emitting Diodes, Yes there is a proper + and - (red and black) DC circuitry direction. There is also likely a resistor built into the assembly to protect the LED itself from over-current.

btw: I've always found it interesting that the schematic symbology for a diode is electron-flow backwards, as it was assigned prior to our really knowing how electricity worked (arrow/band direction is the prior "conventional current" positive to negative flow mindset). In fairness although we now well know the cause/effects of electricity we still don't fully understand it. :unsure: And further if you subscribe to "hole theory" then it's the holes moving.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
100 Posts
I will post a more detailed write-up of the process later, but I wanted to show the results because this video says it all! My husband stood in front of each light to block it so that you could see up the driveway by only the stock halogen and then by only one of the new LEDs. Look at all the trees and driveway distance you can see with the new bulbs! Wow! They're bright, but not in-your-face, blinding oncoming traffic sort of bright. Here's the video demonstration:

These are the bulbs that Mike222 recommended, installed with the clips as he recommended. Thank you, Mike222! Your advice was excellent, as must be your patience (because getting this clipped in was not easy, but your report to us gave me faith it would eventually happen!).

As I mentioned, I'll post more about the process later, after we put the other bulb into the passenger side. But, I wanted to share the improvement in visibility right away with everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh wow! Sweet. That looks 10X brighter. Thanks so much Mike222 and Christine_S for the video. Glad someone figured it out. I can’t wait to install and give you guys an update. I wish they put the Bi-Xenons in as standard.

·
Registered
2015 GLA250
3 Posts
I will post a more detailed write-up of the process later, but I wanted to show the results because this video says it all! My husband stood in front of each light to block it so that you could see up the driveway by only the stock halogen and then by only one of the new LEDs. Look at all the trees and driveway distance you can see with the new bulbs! Wow! They're bright, but not in-your-face, blinding oncoming traffic sort of bright. Here's the video demonstration:

These are the bulbs that Mike222 recommended, installed with the clips as he recommended. Thank you, Mike222! Your advice was excellent, as must be your patience (because getting this clipped in was not easy, but your report to us gave me faith it would eventually happen!).

As I mentioned, I'll post more about the process later, after we put the other bulb into the passenger side. But, I wanted to share the improvement in visibility right away with everyone!
Well done Christine_s!! You too passed the patience test. I'm hoping these last as long as they say they will. Cheers! Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question... do the bulbs recommended by mike222 requires CANbus?

Found this video for installing the adapter-clip... Same idea as the installation video to Amazon's product listing I think?

Updated: nevermind, somehow i missed mike222's thread that the product does not need CANbus. Hope the bulbs are still doing good?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts